Thread: What to take with us

Default What to take with us

Hi, So excited me and my partner have been accepted into NZ,we are going to be going to Auckland in July. I have packed basics we are leaving furniture but taking a couple of mattresses, clothes and kitchen items. What looking back would you have taken with you or got before you went as I have room to put more in the container.
    Thanks

If you are into outdoor activities (biking, tramping, etc) bring that sort of stuff as well. It is pretty expensive here for certain items and kiwi's are getting ripped off in some areas. Here is an example: I recently purchased a new set of tramping boots. I bought them from an online store in the US, had them shipped here, customs stopped the package and charged duty, and the total price in NZD was still about $200 cheaper than if I had purchased in a local store.

Not sure if you are having a shared container or one for your sole use, but if you have room in your container, just fill it up! Leave no inch empty. No point buying new stuff here if you have it already and you have paid for a container. Have a look on the internet to compare prices here in NZ, so that you can work out if it is worth paying to ship. If you have the stuff already here it is worth bringing it as you will find that most things are more expensive than in the UK.

electrical white goods are comparable, but everything else is expensive and sometimes poor quality I would fill my container with Ikea, debenhams and M&S furniture again and again because if I did not require it I could sell it for more in NZ on trade me. outdoor clothing and stuff is mega expensive as well as childrens quality clothing I often have to order from uk

Quote Originally Posted by walshdon View Post
    Hi, So excited me and my partner have been accepted into NZ,we are going to be going to Auckland in July. I have packed basics we are leaving furniture but taking a couple of mattresses, clothes and kitchen items. What looking back would you have taken with you or got before you went as I have room to put more in the container.
    Thanks
    Make sure you bring plenty of sheets to fit the bed as beds seem to be different sizes here and double sheets here do not fit our double mattress from UK so we have to use the queen size sheets .

We are just in the process of having our things wrapped to go on their way and we have not thrown anything away 'just incase' we find we will need it at the other end and don't want to re buy!! We have heard things are more expensive so we have stocked up with as much stuff as possible but where do we stop... Feel like we are slowly getting addicted to shopping... just one more pair!! My bank balance is not agreeing though!!

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline and Dave View Post
    Make sure you bring plenty of sheets to fit the bed as beds seem to be different sizes here and double sheets here do not fit our double mattress from UK so we have to use the queen size sheets .
    Here are the standard NZ bed size names, compared with UK ones. http://nzandyou.freeforums.org/conta...s-t144-20.html