Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Residential Boundary Fences...

Gosh that seems pricey for a fence, understand the tree business. Wonder what sort of price fencing panels are down there? Is is feasible to build your own fence at reasonable costs?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon & Emily
    Just a quick thought here - I'm sure many are aware, but some may not be, that some conifers (especially the wonderfull quick growing leylandi, not spelt correctly I know but you know the ones I mean ) give off toxic/narcotic fumes when burnt. Not recommended for burning indoors though.

Emily

Eeeeek!!! Are you sure???

There are a lot of old leylandi tree branches stacked up in our garden (a fire hazard really) and we have been out chopping them up for firewood/kindling. Seemed a better idea than paying out for wood. Dear, oh, dear we have an open fire too.

I think we have been OK ... well, I haven't noticed any narcotic effects (hee hee). Bit worried about the toxic bit. (

Synchronistically, this was in the comics today:
    http://www.ucomics.com/nonsequitur/ . For future folk, look in the archives for August 15's strip.

So have they restricted the smoking of those trees? Glenda's getting a bit giddy here

Funnily enough I recently picked up something from our council about tree disputes.

'According to the Property Law Ammendment Act 1975, property owners may be responsible for any nuisance or damage their tree cause to a neighbours, even if the trees were planted before they bought the property'

Good news for us, since our neighbours have some extremely large gum trees which are causing problems to our land...let alone the branches that fall that are a danger to us all. Gum trees are known in Australia as 'Widow Makers'. Just not sure how to go about convincing the neighbours they should cut them down????

Amanda

Quote Originally Posted by eric_amanda
    Just not sure how to go about convincing the neighbours they should cut them down????
    You may want to start with a request for a trim. Mention that you're concerned about branches coming down in a storm and causing damage. Hint judiciously about repair costs and insurance premiums and other financial matters which could spur them to action.

Our neighbors have one, which is about 100 feet from our property line. After a big wind, I'll find seed pods, leaf bunches and strips of bark in the garden. Thankfully the branches don't fly as well.

Eucalyptus is notorious for being brittle, but with a good quality trim they can be much safer and quite lovely. Flammable as anything, though. Great for firewood, but beware of them in wildfire country.

Thanks Selchie for your advice, however the same information sheet I got from the council also states that if a tree on a neighbours property falls down and does damage to our property then it is our insurance company and us who are liable
    I guess it is therefore our responsibility as responsible owners to ensure that we have done everything in our power to have our neighbours make these trees safe. They are directly next to the boundary fence, cutout the morning sunlight etc etc....

According to this information sheet we can apply to the 'District Court Judge for an order forcing our neighbours to cut the trees back. For such an application to succeed we would need to show that the trees "injuriously affect" our land'

An interesting but complicated matter, since we do not know or have never met these neighbours as their house is beyond the trees out of sight, but we do not want them to become enemies! Whangarei is a small town!

Amanda

Quote Originally Posted by eric_amanda
    Thanks Selchie for your advice, however the same information sheet I got from the council also states that if a tree on a neighbours property falls down and does damage to our property then it is our insurance company and us who are liable
    Strange. Perhaps this backwards reasoning has something to do with the southern hemisphere?

We're not having panels (don't ask why ) it's being built from scratch including new posts etc as everything is rotten - cost of clearing boundary, skip hire / removal / emptying etc/ tree removal is approx $1k of that cost.

Ultimately, the cost to us is just $1800 so we're happy with that and we also get nice new fence to front of property as well

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12