Thread: Some questions regarding my qualification and EOI points

Default Some questions regarding my qualification and EOI points

First of all , This is my first post here so I would like to say a big Hello to all of you guys

ok let's get to the point.

0) Why the United Kingdom is not listed in any dropdown menus in online EOI form?

This seems to be quite a rubbish question but when I filled the online EOI form , I didn't see the "United Kingdom" listed in any dropdown menus when selecting information regarding country, the most closest one is "United Nations" which I don't think it could even be considered as a country though.

1) Is my degree really qualified without assessment from NQZA?

I've got my MSc degree from UK university listed in the exemption from assessment list so , conceptually , I do not need to request for Qualification assessment or PAR.

However , I've found this note in the page
    If any courses leading to the award of one of the qualifications listed above were taken outside of the United Kingdom, including courses which have been cross-credited towards the listed qualifications please refer to the NZQA for an International Qualification Assessment.
    So the question is , if I've got my BSc from Thailand before applying for my MSc degree in the UK , does this mean I do have to request for qualification assessment anyway?

2) My chance of getting level 9 (60 points) from my MSc degree
    As it's stated on the list of exemption , my MSc degree worths only (at least) level 8 which worths 50 points.
    I've graduated my BSc and MSc in the same field , which is Computer Science.

How much chance , you think , I will get 60 points if I request for assessment from NQZA?

3) Is my EOI scores too low for this year?
    I've got 110 points with no job offer including 10 bonus points from work exps.
    When I checked the stats of last year (2011) I felt like I would be having a good chance of getting ITA.
    but when checking this year's stats (2012) , I felt like it's impossible since the number of applications are so much increased this year and ,so far, no one with my EOI scores have got selected from the pool.

What do you guys think about this?

4) PR or WTR
    Assume that i am so lucky this year , and get ITA eventually.
    With my 110 points / no job offer and with 10 bonus points from work exps , how likely am I to get PR instead of WTR?
    Last edited by osca; 11th May 2012 at 10:39 AM.

Hello and welcome.

0) (and I think this is the first time I've ever answered a 'number nought'!) I haven't done this form, so I don't know, but it might be worth looking for GB (Great Britain), possibly.

1) If your BSc from Thailand isn't also in the exempt list, you will need to have that assessed. NZ always check Master's degrees and what went before them very carefully, as in some countries, it's possible to get a Master's by in depth study of a very narrow area, whereas a NZ Master's requires the person to have broad-based knowledge of the subject from first principles.

3) It's not a question of what's happening 'this year' - things can vary from selection to selection, depending on how many people, how well qualified, happen to go into the pool at the same time as you, or just before or after. There's no way to predict this.

4) First, notice the up-to-date names for these options - you could get Residence, or a Job Search visa. (Names changed from November 2010 onwards.) http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../residence.htm

Next, the number of points has no bearing at all on the outcome of a SMC application - points only serve to get you selected for an ITA out of the pool. After that stage, the CO will check all the evidence you submit. If everything is in order, and if you don't have a job offer, you will be interviewed. Here's the INZ operational manual's description of what is looked for at interview.
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/index.htm Go to Residence » Skilled Migrant Category » SM21 Settlement and Contribution Requirements » SM21.10 Assessment of whether a principal applicant can realise their potential to successfully settle and contribute

SM21.10 Assessment of whether a principal applicant can realise their potential to successfully settle and contribute

Assessment of whether a principal applicant can otherwise demonstrate an ability or can realise their potential to settle in and contribute to New Zealand will be based on:
    information obtained during a structured interview with the principal applicant and if required, other family members included in the application; and
    all other information contained in the application for a resident visa; and
    any further verification of the application (including information provided at interview).
    That assessment will include consideration of the following factors:
    skilled employment prospects;
    familiarity with New Zealand and preparedness for settlement of the principal applicant and, where relevant, the partner and dependent children included in the application; and
    linkages and support in New Zealand, through networks and family
    Skilled employment prospects are the primary consideration for the Immigration Officer when determining whether to grant residence, a SMC job search visa, or decline the application as set out in (d), (g), and (h) below. Note: Principal applicants who do not intend to take up full-time employment may not be considered to have good employment prospects (e.g. those who intend to undertake full-time study).

If the principal applicant is in New Zealand and holds, or in the last 24 months, has held a work visa granted under the WD Study to work instructions then they are not eligible for a work visa under the SMC Job Search Instructions (WR5 (b)).
    If an immigration officer assesses that a principal applicant has not demonstrated the ability to successfully settle and contribute but can realise their potential to successfully settle in and contribute to New Zealand the principal applicant will be eligible for the grant of a SMC job search work visa (subject to the requirements of WR5 being met) to enable them to realise their potential by obtaining an offer of skilled employment (see SM7) in New Zealand.
    Principal applicants who are in New Zealand and are granted SMC job search work visas under these instructions will have the decision on their SMC application deferred for a period of nine months.
    Principal applicants who are not in New Zealand and are granted SMC job search work visas under these instructions will have the decision on their SMC application deferred for a period of 12 months to enable travel to New Zealand and a stay in New Zealand of nine months (refer to WR5.5).
    Where, following the further assessment, a principal applicant, despite not meeting the requirements of SM21.5(a), is assessed as having a high potential to readily obtain skilled employment in New Zealand, they will be assessed as having demonstrated the ability to successfully settle in and contribute to New Zealand. Where this occurs, subject to meeting other relevant requirements, the principal applicant and their family members included in the application, may be granted resident visas.
    If an immigration officer determines, as a result of the further assessment, that a principal applicant does not have a high potential to readily obtain skilled employment in New Zealand they will be assessed as not having demonstrated that they can realise their potential to settle in and contribute to New Zealand. Where this occurs, their application for a resident visa in New Zealand under the Skilled Migrant Category will be declined.
    If (d) above applies, but a SMC job search work visa is not granted, the application for a resident visa will be declined.

Quote Originally Posted by osca View Post
    0) Why the United Kingdom is not listed in any dropdown menus in online EOI form?

This seems to be quite a rubbish question but when I filled the online EOI form , I didn't see the "United Kingdom" listed in any dropdown menus when selecting information regarding country, the most closest one is "United Nations" which I don't think it could even be considered as a country though.
    "United Kingdom" is not a country, try checking England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, subsequently try Great Britain as suggested above.

0) (and I think this is the first time I've ever answered a 'number nought'!) I haven't done this form, so I don't know, but it might be worth looking for GB (Great Britain), possibly.
    "United Kingdom" is not a country, try checking England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, subsequently try Great Britain as suggested above.
    Oh it's really Great Britain! , thanks both of you guys for pointing it out to me

1) If your BSc from Thailand isn't also in the exempt list, you will need to have that assessed. NZ always check Master's degrees and what went before them very carefully, as in some countries, it's possible to get a Master's by in depth study of a very narrow area, whereas a NZ Master's requires the person to have broad-based knowledge of the subject from first principles.
    Actually , my BSc is also on the exempt list as well which also worths the same 50 points if I decide not to request for claiming 60 points for my MSc.
    Last edited by osca; 11th May 2012 at 04:28 PM.

I'm not sure what criteria it takes to get a level 9, but when my Master's degree was assessed it was awarded a 9 and I received the points. My degree was from the USA and was 36 semester-based credit hours of graduate classes. I personally would go through the NZQA assessment, as in the worse case it leaves you at a level 8, but in the best case it gets you extra points.

Quote Originally Posted by Azkateaz View Post
    I'm not sure what criteria it takes to get a level 9, but when my Master's degree was assessed it was awarded a 9 and I received the points. My degree was from the USA and was 36 semester-based credit hours of graduate classes. I personally would go through the NZQA assessment, as in the worse case it leaves you at a level 8, but in the best case it gets you extra points.
    Good to hear that , so my chance of getting 60 points is not that low
    Here it comes to the next 2 questions which really confuses me.

1) Is the pre-assessment (PAR) required as a prerequisite of International NZQA assessment?

2) Do I need to apply for the International NZQA assessment before EOI submission OR after getting ITA ? so that I can claims 60 points for my MSc degree.

From the web http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/qualificatio...r-immigration/ , it is written like what I need to do is PAR > Submit EOI > ITA > International NZQA assessment , but i'm not sure what should be the best solution (i.e least cost) to do this.

1) If you are asking whether PAR has to be done before full NZQA assessment the answer would be no.

We only did full as we knew it would have to be done for our jobs anyway.

Ta,

Eliot

1) No, you can go straight for the full assessment. I think one reason PAR first is recommended may be for those who aren't sure if their qualifications will get a high enough level to let them put in an EOI.

2) You have to have the NZQA assessment (whichever one you decide on) before you put in your EOI - the EOI form asks for the NZQA assessment details.

Thanks for you all answers , I think i'm quite clear now