Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shipping medium size dog

Default shipping medium size dog

Hi there.
    I wonder if anyone can inform me, how much in total i would cost if we were to ship our dog out to NZ from Denmark? The last post I could find was from 2007 and said 1800 for the shipping alone, but as far as I know, there will be a large charge for the quarantine in NZ on top. Does anyone know how many days the quarantine will have to be?
    Thanks
    S.

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/files...catdog.gen.pdf There's the MAF leaflet on this issue, which states at least 10 days' quarantine is required. And here http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter/personal/pets is another page of information about the necessary formalities.

If you look at the individual websites for some quarantine kennels, you'll be able to see what their current charges are. http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&outpu...w=1112&bih=768

WE are looking at bringing our dog over.Up to know and we have had loads of quotes the average with all the vaccinations,shipping and quarantine comes to around the 3,000.Our one way tickets for a family of 6 only comes to 4,200.Dont no what to do for the best.Our dog is also medium sized.

What is for the best is all down to your feelings and priorities.

Our family always regard our animals as part of the family, and there's no way we'd go anywhere without them. But other people find their dog or cat somewhere else to live.

We asked about the cost of bringing out cat over with us at the Emmigration Fair we went to - they had a couple of pet shipping companies there. They told us that the cat would cost a minimum of 1600 assuming all it's shots and vetinary records were up to date and it had a pet passport already. We were also told that there needs to be a minimum of 6 months lead in time for them to get the animal ready for shipping. We were also told that dogs are considerably more expensive to take than cats.

We have decided not to bring our cat with us. It isn't just a cost thing though. He was a rescue cat and quite nervy and we don't think he'll cope well with the trauma of shipping and definately will not like quarantine. We were also concerned about finding suitable accomodation which will allow us to have a pet when we were such new arrivals to the country. The final factor was that some friends offered to take him and our cat loves them so we know he'll have a good home, be happy and won't have the trauma of moving.

Everyone's decision is different and there are different factors for everyone to take into account. Cost is a factor but for us it was one of a number of factors that we weighed up.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

It's an extremely personal decision that only you can make. And you need to add on vets fees prior to travel as there are a number of vet visits that need to be completed in the last 30 days prior to departure in order to clear the stringent biosecurity regs (I think it cost us somewhere in the region of around US$700 for the last month of vet visits). Shipping was on top of that and quarantine as well. It adds up. But it's so worth it to see our pooch living the dream with us.

There should be no decision to make. When you got a pet you made a life commitment to that animal. If you can't take the animal, for whatever reason (cost or any other excuse you tell youself so you can sleep better at night), you shouldn't go. It's that simple. Giving up your pet, a member of your family (at least a member of it's family as far as it's concerned), should elicit a lifetime ban from ever owning a pet again. IMHO.

That's pretty harsh, don't you think? What happens if you have a pet and a family member develops an allergy against it? Do you keep it and see your son/ daughter/ OH suffer from asthma or eczema or whatever would be the symptom?
    I agree that you have made a commitment if you get an animal, but I also think that there is a difference between a person and an animal. IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    That's pretty harsh, don't you think? What happens if you have a pet and a family member develops an allergy against it? Do you keep it and see your son/ daughter/ OH suffer from asthma or eczema or whatever would be the symptom?
    Harsh? How harsh is it to the animal? You are that animal's family, just as much as the child's... You think there's no way to make kid and pet allergy's work? No one has ever done it? Of course there is!, it's just hard work. If you had two children and one had an issue (physical, mental, whatever...) that negatively impacted the other child, would you give one of your children away???

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo View Post
    Harsh? How harsh is it to the animal? You are that animal's family, just as much as the child's... You think there's no way to make kid and pet allergy's work? No one has ever done it? Of course there is!, it's just hard work. If you had two children and one had an issue (physical, mental, whatever...) that negatively impacted the other child, would you give one of your children away???
    See, that's the difference for me between children and animals.., of course I wouldn't give my child away unless I could not cope with the care (out of whatever reasons there are, and there surely could be reasons), but, and that is my personal opinion, and we do have animals and I do love them dearly, they are still animals.
    I don't tell you or anyone else how to feel about that, I was just voicing my opinion versus yours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast