Thread: Cv's For the NZ employer

Default Cv's For the NZ employer

Hi There,
    Please could you offer a bit of advise regarding NZ CV's. In the UK as a general rule employers only want a short CV no longer than two sides of A4. This is because of the amount of CV's they have to sift through. Am i right in thinking that the NZ CV is to be considerably longer and in more detail?? We would welcome your comments.
    Many Thanks

Here http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&outpu...w=1112&bih=768 are some old threads with mentions of the NZ preferred format.

We recently registered on the New Zealand Now website and each week we get an email through giving helpful advice about getting a job if you are applying from overseas. Last weeks included information about CV's and said, amongst other things, that a NZ CV is 5 pages or less, so in UK terms quite long.

http://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/ - in the quick links on the RHS - Register with NewZealandNow

Thank you

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

There aren't really any hard and fast rules over here. I know in the UK there's a fairly clear idea of what's expected but over here, there is less expectation.

I have been on the recruiting side and the application side. I would say that people are generally looking for the best match to the competencies, so tailor your CV around competencies rather than jobs. Make sure you can demonstrate real examples of having done things. If you can cite the experience (either in your CV or cover letter) then even better. I had some great feedback when I went for a few new jobs recently. A recruiter even thanked me for my cover letter! She said even just referencing the employing company shows that it's not just a stock standard letter being mass mailed.

Keep the cover letter to 2 pages though.

Employers aren't looking for responsibilities, they're looking for achievements. They want to see what the basics of the job were, but then what you actually achieved - what you did to make a difference - is more important. My full CV is 7 pages long, but it's got quite a lot of indentation and for a recent application I included a whole page on my university dissertation which was very relevant to that particular application as it was very much focussed on the industry I was applying into. My CV is different every time I send it out. Not that it's been out much recently, but it's getting out there now and I'm getting lots of typing practice. Do keep the cover letter to one page only, don't waffle. Do give specifics as to what you have done that make your application relevant for the job you're going for.

These people have a few handy hints (to hopefully get your business, naturally ) http://www.cvmagic.co.nz/winningcv.php

Thank you all