Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wellington for 9 months and our dog?

Default Wellington for 9 months and our dog?

Got the good news that I finally have gotten a (preliminary)job offer to work in Wellington, but only for a 9 month fixed term position. Now we are trying to see if we can make this work, as a fixed term move has different issues than a permanent one- especially since fixed term could potential become permanent down the road.

Wanted to get your opinion about bringing our dog. I know the financial end of it is a bit crazy for a such a short term, but aside from the cost is there a reason not to bring her? She is a healthy 9 year old pug who is well adjusted to being a good "apartment dog." She has little or no breathing issues- although airlines have specific regulations about her breed.

My concerns are:
    1. Even with the new shorter quarantine (US to NZ), it will be a big stress on her to make the move. Also there is the huge cost (4K USD?) and the endless tests and paperwork to contend with.

2. We want to be able to live very centrally in Wellington (walking distance to downtown) and are worried we won't be able to find a quality apartment that will take a small dog. We have no children. We have worries about the rental stock in the first place, but have the budget for a nice small furnished apartment- but will we find one that will take our dog?

Just very anecdoctal thoughts with no hard evidence to back this up:
    you will have some difficulties finding somewhere which lets you have a dog in the CBD and especially if you are not signing a 12 month lease and you are looking for a furnished appartment. (we have never rented so my knowledge of that is minimal) Have a look at trademe rental properties to see what comes up.

As regards the health issues, I would definitely seek veterinary advice about this. Only a vet can really tell you this about your animal.
    Best of luck!

Thanks. Trade-me was my first stop. Literally have yet to find a central rental that says it will take dogs (at any price.) I have found a few that will take cats, and given my dog is mature and cat-sized I would hope maybe I could talk them into it.

From our dog's perspective we have family and friends who would gladly take her in for the 9 months and we know she would be happy (pugs are more adaptable to this kind of thing than most breeds.) But we would hate to be apart from her that long, and it would lessen the experience. But on the flip side if we have to live in substandard rental away from town just to be able to find a dog friendly unit then it would equally lessen the experience. If it were a permanent move it would be an easy decision- but for 9 months its tough. And since our move is several months away it is too early to contact landlords.

If you have friends and family who can take her for a while and you know she would adapt ok, I would go that route until you get on the ground in Wellington so you can make a better decision. You can look up the medical requirements and take care of anything that must be done ahead of time as a precaution. For my dog the only things that were required far in advance were to ensure the rabies shot was given within 12 months of travel and to obtain the rabies titer test (which has a wait period between the vaccine and the test). After that all the rest of the veterinary involvement is done from 30 days to fly date (based on my dog's medical history, please look it up to be sure it applies the same way to you!). This gives you time to get to NZ and decide if you can and want to bring her over. Perhaps you could get a better sense of your long-term possibilities there as well. As I haven't looked into the requirements to bring a dog back from NZ to the USA I'm not sure how complicated or difficult that would be should you all return after the initial 9 months is over.

Talking to landlords is very often THE way to get a pet allowed, even when the advertising says not. If they take to you, and if you agree to an extra clause in the lease saying you will have the place professionally cleaned when you leave, you're in.

Next door but one to me in the UK there is a Siamese cat who has done the trip to and from NZ five times, as her human has links in both countries (and, apparently, plenty of money).

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I think you should also consider your visa status in this decision. If you already have residency, then I am assuming your partner will get a job too, which could mean you are able to stay in country following your 9-month contract. There will be nothing forcing you out of the country at that stage? It will give you security and income to enable you to continue looking for your next/permanent job (if you haven't already done so). Looking for a job once you're in country is infinitely easier (I'm not saying it's easy, just that it is a damn site easier than when you're outside).

Personally I think Azkatenz's suggestion is a good one, and that is to temporarily leave your pooch with friends until you have a better handle on the situation here. Get the preliminary rabies titer test done ASAP as your dog can't travel until 6 months after that anyway - so if you're needed in country sooner, you'll have to leave it behind anyway. This is what we had to do. You can always ship your pooch out later. But recognise that your friends will have the burden of the final 30 days of your dog's pre-travel/biosecurity tests to go through. It's quite involved.

I recommend you talk to IPT to help you understand everything that is involved. They will guide you through the process and were great at giving me step-by-step instructions, and getting our pooch to us safely. Their communication during her trip was not the best, but she got here and in good condition. The quarantine kennels at Levin (closest to Welly but still an hour's drive up the coast) are great and you can go visit.

As for apartments and advertising, the house we currently rent said no pets. We went to look round it anyway and struck up a rapport with the landlady. During our viewing she said "no pets or children" (those exact words). At the end we said we were interested but didn't think she'd be interested in us because of our dog. She immediately said "oh, I don't mind a dog, but I don't want a cat." We showed her pictures and added a condition to our rental agreement that we'd get the carpets professionally cleaned when we leave. We offered to pay a higher bond as well but they didn't want it. So it's all about convincing them that you're reliable and responsible. Whatever you do, don't take an apartment and then try to negotiate a dog afterwards.

-Edited to add that I re-read your second post and it doesn't sound like you're considering a permanent move at all. If that's the case, I wouldn't bring the dog. Hard as it might be, I think it will be easier all round if you didn't. For you (getting a decent rental in the centre of town and on your bank balance), and for your pooch (no need for all the medical tests and two long journeys). Plus it will give you the ability to experience NZ and Wellington properly in the short time that you're here without constantly having to consider your dog.
    Last edited by Manks; 17th May 2012 at 09:58 AM.

Just a curious question- I have been to Wellington several times now but never really thought about it- is there no inner- city- ban on dogs like in other towns?
    Was just wondering....

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    Just a curious question- I have been to Wellington several times now but never really thought about it- is there no inner- city- ban on dogs like in other towns?
    Was just wondering....
    There are certain areas where you can't go at certain times - i.e. no dogs allowed on Cuba Street during shop hours, and you can only walk through the CBD (i.e. not stop) with a dog at all times, but plenty of dog-friendly areas otherwise. The Waterfront, Frank Kitts Park, Botanic Gardens etc. Here's a link to a map of the city centre restriction zone, but as I said, you can move through it, just not stop. All Wellington Council rules on dogs are here.

Ah, I see..., thanks for that. I was only wondering because here in Blenheim you can't take you dog into the inner city at all.

As regards apartments and pets, we have 3 apartments in different areas of Auckland and we are great animal lovers but unfortunately we are unable to allow people to have pets in any of them because of the body corporates all of whom state pets are not allowed. This does not apply to all body corporates as friends of ours have a cat and dog in a ground floor apartment with a garden and the body corporate was ok with that.This is only our personal experience and does not apply everywhere but its something to be aware of

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast