Thread: The old country

Question The old country

Have your feelings for your old country changed in the time you've lived in New Zealand?

Interesting question. After 5 years here I can say both yes and no.

We still clearly remember all the reasons why we left the the life we had, in the area we lived, in the UK, and those reasons are probably just as valid today as they were back then. The chav culture and lack of community spirit in many areas hasn't improved, various political issues haven't changed either, and the economy is in worse shape, although that is a worldwide phenomenon really and not specific to the UK. Despite having previously lived a comfortable life in UK, it is not a life I have any desire to go back to. So it's fair to say that some of the feelings we have about negative stuff still exist to a certain extent, but we have no reason to dwell upon any of it now our lives are here.

However, I think after being here well and truely beyond the 'honeymoon phase' we probably have a better appreciate for positive aspects of the UK...typical stuff really like history, old buildings, public footpaths, the NHS (mainly because it was free at the point of need, not because the actual service we've received here has been any better or worse). I am certain most people who worked in the NHS much prefer it here however because using a health system and working for it lead to very different experiences. I think what I am describing is more nostalgia that anything else, a bit like remembering that one Christmas as a child when there was thick snow on the ground. It will be nice to go back for a visit one day, as a tourist! I like what we have here just as much, only it's different...native bush, fantastic birdlife, Maori culture, stunning coastlines & beaches etc.

UK none changed as hated it 20 yrs ago and glad we left then. US, I have mixed feelings about, some positive (mostly), some negative but generally I wonder why we didn't move to NZ years ago but I really enjoyed time in the US, tons of friends there and kids are American too so strong connection to the US.

There've been a few threads about this sort of thing in the past. My relationship to my country of origin has changed in the last 17 years (since I left), the one to the UK hasn't (4.5 (!!!!) years since I left).

I think I made the analogy before that for me, my relationship to my country of origin, Germany, has evolved somewhat similar to that of parent and child growing up: I left in a huff and a puff and thought it was all rubbish, hated everything about it, they got it all wrong, I'm nothing like them, etc. The I longer I live away, the more I appreciate what is good and bad in a more balanced way, I can see which parts of me were shaped by being brought up there as opposed to the parts that are 'just me' or 'just my family.' Just as with my parents, who I understand and appreciate now more than I did when I was 19 and moved out with great fanfare, my relationship now is a lot more mature. Still means I'd never permanently move back in with either of them, though, Germany or my mum

Daniela

What we miss most about the US other than family is the convenience. One can get just about anything they want at any time (almost). Super-size big box stores loaded with goodies. Consumer staples brands of every sort at low prices. Then again getting away from all that was one of the reasons we moved. Also, we didn't find the cost of living here that outrageous compared to the states. The selection of items is not as wide, but there is still variety to choose from. However many of the brands one is used to are simply not available. For example toothpaste; for whatever reason Colgate reigns supreme and PG has rolled over and abandoned NZ. We’ve got every kind of Colgate one can image. But Crest is totally absent from the aisles.

My advice to those looking to move from the US/UK: stock up on toiletries/bathroom/contact solution, etc. Buy a lot, and then buy even more. Fill every empty space in that container with toilet paper, deodorant, toothpaste, contact solution, vitamins, allergy meds (over the counter only) because the stuff you are used to may not be available here.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNZ View Post

My advice to those looking to move from the US/UK: stock up on toiletries/bathroom/contact solution, etc. Buy a lot, and then buy even more. Fill every empty space in that container with toilet paper, deodorant, toothpaste, contact solution, vitamins, allergy meds (over the counter only) because the stuff you are used to may not be available here.
    But isn't that part of the whole experience- that you get used to new things and don't stick with what you're used to? Toothpaste, for example, won't make you ill if you can't find the brand you were used too, so why not try something new?
    Other example- I adapted recipes, because quark is hard to find and very expensive, so now I use sour creme instead- works brilliant!
    It is our 8th year in NZ now and I cannot put my finger on anything I really, really miss so much that I wish it would be available here. Might just be me, though.....

I agree with Renate and like to add that very often you already have regional differences within your home country. I would imagine that the offer in California, New England and Texas will be different; also whether you are living in a big city or in the country.

We left the UK 13 years ago. It doesn't feel like home any more, hasn't done so for a while. We feel more like Americans and we are all citizens now. I miss the Highlands of Scotland and friends and family there but will miss lots of little things about the US.