Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ability to get a permanent job offer with Silver Fern Job search visa

Default Ability to get a permanent job offer with Silver Fern Job search visa

Guys, is it possible by Silver Fern visa to find a suitable IT position? as what i got from reading the NZ posts that it is difficult to get Permanent job offer unless you have a PR in NZ. can you please confirm that to me? and what is the best way to search for a job? shall i start now or i should wait until my visa be granted?

Yes , people have secured permanent job and have then obtained PR as well.. all starting with SFV.
    Look at this threads:
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33085

Quote Originally Posted by shawankit View Post
    Yes , people have secured permanent job and have then obtained PR as well.. all starting with SFV.
    Look at this threads:
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33085

Thanks a lot for your reply, i opened this thread becaues i read in this forum that many people sruggled with job searching when the got the silver fern search job visa

Quote Originally Posted by hmlamie View Post
    Thanks a lot for your reply, i opened this thread becaues i read in this forum that many people sruggled with job searching when the got the silver fern search job visa
    It is all about your skills, the way you are going to market yourselves, your availability and finally a little luck that constitutes your success with your job hunt. It might be different for everyone. I've seen some posts where people said they had a job offer on SFV prior to landing in NZ and there are few people who had struggled for long time and succeeded at last and for some where this visa didn't help enough. It is the amount of hard work and effort coupled with the perfect market situation that gets you to succeed.

Keep up with your job hunt and good faith on NZ employers and you're likely to be on a job soon. My best wishes and prayers.

Saying all these, I am still positive about looking for a job and settle down in NZ once my SFV is approved. I've registered in Seek.co.nz and found some good opportunities returning my call about job opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by maddy13885 View Post
    It is all about your skills, the way you are going to market yourselves, your availability and finally a little luck that constitutes your success with your job hunt. It might be different for everyone. I've seen some posts where people said they had a job offer on SFV prior to landing in NZ and there are few people who had struggled for long time and succeeded at last and for some where this visa didn't help enough. It is the amount of hard work and effort coupled with the perfect market situation that gets you to succeed.

Keep up with your job hunt and good faith on NZ employers and you're likely to be on a job soon. My best wishes and prayers.

Saying all these, I am still positive about looking for a job and settle down in NZ once my SFV is approved. I've registered in Seek.co.nz and found some good opportunities returning my call about job opportunities.
    Thanks a lot for your positive attitude, it is really nice to find an optimistic person. I did the same action, I've registered already in Seek.co.nz and when i search i found some of suitable open vacancies. however, i decided to not apply until i get my visa approval and after this i will start applying for vacancies. I am working as an IT project manager, specialized in Oracle Application HRMS. What i think that it is quiet difficult to find a job before you get the visa as no body will think to hire you if you don't have a work permit although you have the required qualification. Sure, they will search for someone inside the country or at least, has the ability to work inside the country as no employer will wait for you until you get the visa. This is just my humble opinion. By the way, do you have any other recruitment website in order to register rather than seek? or do you hace any idea if there is a type of recruitment agencies which help you in getting job offer?

Thanks a lot for your positive attitude, it is really nice to find an optimistic person. I did the same action, I've registered already in Seek.co.nz and when i search i found some of suitable open vacancies. however, i decided to not apply until i get my visa approval and after this i will start applying for vacancies. I am working as an IT project manager, specialized in Oracle Application HRMS. What i think that it is quiet difficult to find a job before you get the visa as no body will think to hire you if you don't have a work permit although you have the required qualification. Sure, they will search for someone inside the country or at least, has the ability to work inside the country as no employer will wait for you until you get the visa. This is just my humble opinion. By the way, do you have any other recruitment website in order to register rather than seek? or do you hace any idea if there is a type of recruitment agencies which help you in getting job offer?
    Hi hmlamie

Even I am an IT guy. I work as Support Analyst & Techno-Functional Consultant. I have found some recruitment agencies like hays, beyondrecruitment, and AbsoluteIT. These folks advertise many jobs and some of those jobs are open to foreigners to apply and that didnt have the statuatory verse "You must have the right to live and work in this location to apply for this job."

It is absolutely necessary to have a valid work permit to be employed in NZ, however I read one post which says it is legal to search for jobs without work permit. (I will search again and post the link soon).

Good luck on your job hunt whenever you start with it. Keep us posted with all good news that you have to share And lets come to an understanding... Being into same industry, we should commit to help each other on the job front when we find suitable opportunities for fellow to-be immigrants!! your views on it??

My experience was:

Not all employers (or agencies) understand what a Silver Fern is. When it goes in your passport, it is simply a Work Permit so when I was applying for jobs, I simply ticked any box which said I had the right to live and work in NZ which seemed to do the trick. When I was asked, I said I had a work permit.

What I did find was that it was very difficult to get recruiters to take me seriously when I was abroad in the UK. When I contacted many agencies, even when I had a job search trip booked, they said, contact us when you are here, or contact us a week before you come.

As it was, I managed to get an interview set up with my (now employer) in advance of coming out which went really well and I was offered and took the job, and 3 months later I arrived.

There are two things to remember:

1. If you are thinking about it, IT Contracting will not allow you to get the Silver Fern Practical Experience visa - it has to be a permanent job
    2. If you are not here for Face2Face interviews, it will be VERY difficult to get a job - people have been recruited completely remotely using skype/telephone interviews, but I think it is the exception rather than the rule.

With regards resources, Seek is the best place to start, but if you can, try and work out who the employer is for agency ads. Then check the employers website to see if they have a direct application for the same role - you may find it easier than getting "filtered" by agencies. They will generally go with candidates who are already here and will only look at off-shore applications if they ether hit the sweetspot for the role, or if they have limited interest from onshore people.

Quote Originally Posted by maddy13885 View Post
    It is absolutely necessary to have a valid work permit to be employed in NZ, however I read one post which says it is legal to search for jobs without work permit. (I will search again and post the link soon).
    Yes, you can legally go to NZ on a visitor's visa, job hunt while you are there, and be interviewed by potential employers or agents. A member of the forum has given a link to a letter from the Minister for Immigration about this matter, for everyone's reassurance. http://www.move2nz.com/downloads/Nat..._27-jan-12.pdf This will mainly be relevant to people aiming to get Residence via the Skilled Migrant Scheme, or a Work Visa, however - Silver Fern is in itself a job search visa, so obviously you can look for a job, and you're also entitled to start work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Yes, you can legally go to NZ on a visitor's visa, job hunt while you are there, and be interviewed by potential employers or agents. A member of the forum has given a link to a letter from the Minister for Immigration about this matter, for everyone's reassurance. http://www.move2nz.com/downloads/Nat..._27-jan-12.pdf This will mainly be relevant to people aiming to get Residence via the Skilled Migrant Scheme, or a Work Visa, however - Silver Fern is in itself a job search visa, so obviously you can look for a job, and you're also entitled to start work on it.
    Waaaw, Great, it means that anybody can apply for a vsitor visa and search for a job when he arrived i think it is a very good idea for a lot of people

Waaaw, Great, it means that anybody can apply for a visitor visa and search for a job when he arrived i think it is a very good idea for a lot of people
    Although it is possible, it probably isn't a great idea to come on a visitor's visa. If you do find an employer with a job that wants to hire you, you aren't able to start work until you have a work visa, which can take a long time to organize. Most employers who aren't willing to hire from overseas are looking to have someone start right away.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast