Thread: New Parent category

Default New Parent category

Has anyone any idea at this early stage how long the parent category will take to process under the tier 1? We were ready to apply under the old system in July as our daughter would have been a resident for 3 years and therefore could sponsor us, but expected that it would then take 2 years before we got to the front of the queue.
    Whilst our heart goes out to those who have been disadvantaged by these changes, the new policy should work in our favor as depending upon exchange rates and house prices we should just be able to meet the financial obligation - so long as you only need the $500,000 when you arrive in the country as we have a house to sell and also they allow you then to use the $500,000 towards a new house on arrival in NZ.

Nobody has any idea yet. These threads work by sharing experience, and as the new system hasn't even started, there isn't anyone who can tell us anything. Even INZ won't know what will happen until it's all up and running.

About your mention of the financial aspect, I've wondered about the requirements for that $500,000, too. When once the INZ Operational Manual is updated to include the new regulations, it should include the fine detail. Guess what - here's one more time we're waiting for INZ to tell us something.

I'm also very interested in the timeline for the tier 1 process as my parents were going to apply in June, planning on it taking approx. 2 years. This was giving my mum chance to retire mid-next year then time for them to sort all their affairs out etc. I'm now a bit unsure about timelines and when the best time for them to apply will be.

Like JandM says we'll just have to "watch this space" and wait for INZ....