Thread: Criminal Convictions

Default Criminal Convictions

Hi All,
    I sure this question has been asked many of time, I have done my best to search. So my question is in regards to applying for immigration with criminal convictions. I have one conviction which was Public Order offence and possible assault in 2004, this was dealt with a fine in court. I have been cleared by a CRB check for the job I do now. Also my wife was convicted to failing to paying a fine in 2002 and was sentenced to a month in prison and served 2 weeks. Can any one give me any advice in regards to this matter. Many thanks in advance.

Luke

Here you are - this is the INZ definition of good character. http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/Goodcharacter.htm

Thanks JandM, so when looking at this, would this apply to moving over to NZ full time with work? And do you believe from what I stated that I would be OK? Many thanks for all your help.

Regards

Luke.

That's what applies to grants of all visas of whatever sort. Obviously, any convictions will show up on the police checks. As long as those mentioned above are all you've got, it looks as if you would both be clear.

I know from friends that INZ will look into it very thoroughly. They commited a traffic offence and got involved in a fight at the road side. A complained was lodged by the other party and they had to appear in court and were ordered a fine.

They had to provide a copy from the court ruling, explanatory letters from lawyers and letters from friends, family, employers, ... vouching for their good character together with proof that all fines have been paid/sentences have been served. Based on all that evidence, their CO decided they could apply for a character waiver and they got granted residency.

I'm not sure about the UK-timelines for that but have you considered to apply for expungement?

Is it convictions or arrests that INZ wants to know about? I forget now, it's been a few years since we got PR... the ex-husband had to jump through a few hoops - and a letter from me made all the difference, apparently - with an "open alcohol" arrest and conviction. Goodness knows how, but the police in Illinois managed to do him for "open alcohol" when one can of a six-pack of beer had got loose from its plastic and was rolling around in the locked boot of his car. The law there is more meant for people swigging from open bottles of booze as they drive, obviously, and they quite blatantly twisted the meaning of the law here, but they got him convicted nonetheless. He paid a fine but it's on his permanent record. He could have paid to have got it expunged, but it would (I think...) still show up as an arrest nonetheless.

So relieved he's now the ex...

Thanks for all the feed back given. I am awaiting my written offer of service from the NZDF and then I will put in my EOI.

Many Thanks.