Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using landlord's white goods vs ours

Default Using landlord's white goods vs ours

Hi All,

We have finally somewhere to rent in Welly long term. The landlord is happy to leave the white goods in the property - fridge/freezer, washing machine and dryer. We have our own white goods making their way in a container, but I`m just wondering if it might be a better idea to use the landlord`s whilst we rent?

My rationale being that if there are any issues with their white goods it would be up to the landlord to sort out and ultimately pay for any repairs/replacements etc., right? There is a double garage with the property so we could in theory store our white goods somewhere dry and safe, but how long is too long to leave these things standing unused before you run the risk of them potentially seizing up and not working? Our white goods are only 12-18mths old.

We are looking to rent for at least 12mths until we decide which suburb we want to live in long term and buy a property.

Any advice/experience much appreciated!

When we emmigrated our goods were in storage for 18 months while our house was built. We had access to some of our stuff but the white goods were kept in storage and they were as good as new and still going strong

Definitely use the landlord's stuff! If you're in a very damp area (far-west Karori etc) then I would consider a separate storage area.

We will be at the city end - just up the hill (as the crow flies) from Zealandia - so do you reckon a garage would suffice?

Regarding the repair- problem, I think it will depend on the wording in the rental agreement. The last house we rented came with an 'aged' dishwasher and the landlords had stated in the rental agreement that if it broke down we could get our own and replace it, but they were not going to repair/ replace the old one.

And on the subject of repair, treat European brands with respect... We just had to get our Bosch front loader repaired and it cost over $700. More than I paid for it in the UK but less than a new one here (I think a new one was about $1200) and I wanted to repair it if possible not just get a new one.
    Perhaps it might be better to rent a storage area? No idea what they cost though.

Case solved. They have announced they want to charge an extra $15 per week for us to use their stuff, so we will just use ours. Cheeky beggars!

Quote Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
    Case solved. They have announced they want to charge an extra $15 per week for us to use their stuff, so we will just use ours. Cheeky beggars!
    Wow yes. That is pretty cheeky! I've not heard of that before. It's either been included in the rent, or not, but no "well, if you want, but it'll cost ya". Oh well, at least that's one less thing to worry about, your stuff not getting used!

Hmmm, it gets worse. Property Management woman just sent an email saying she might try the next group who applied to take the house as it sounds like we are about to pull out, just because we have asked if we can push the move-in date back a week??!?!

I wouldn`t mind but she is the one who said the landlord was flexible with move-in dates!!!

Why not just pay the extra week as a sign of good faith?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast