Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy south indian musical drum (Mridangam)

Default Where to buy south indian musical drum (Mridangam)

Is there any place in Nz where they sell south indian musical instrument Mridangam

Or is it possible to import from India ? do they allow it in customs ?

Any pointers would help..

If you don't track down a source in NZ, it shouldn't be any problem for the customs, although MAF might well insist that it be fumigated before handing it over to you, since it would be made of organic materials.

hi, there are some music stores in south auckland where you can get these musical instruments.

also the Fiji people (who are of Indian descent) have a substantial population living here in NZ.

they generally use these instruments too. so there would be some stores where you can find them.

i will let you know on this thread once i get any information from my friends.

yes, it cam be imported from India easily.
    i have friends who have brought their harmoniums with them from India.

hi fivezero7 and JandM

Thanks for your prompt responses

I checked with couple of music instrument shops in wellington,but could not find it.

Do let me know if there any shops in Auckland where i can get it.

Incase i am not able to find it here and am asking someone to send it from india do they have to fill any form while sending the parcel ?

Can they send through normal postal service ? If so will customs contact me once the parcel arrives?

Kindly guide me if any additional things required if someone sending me from india.

Regards
    Sundari

All parcels from abroad go through a big mail centre in Auckland upon arrival, where they are put on conveyor belts and X-rayed to see if the apparent content matches the description on the label (which would just be your normal label for customs, I imagine, asking the sender to state the contents and approximate value - that's what there is when sending any parcel overseas from the UK, anyway), and sniffer dogs go along checking for organic material and drugs. If the official picks out your drum as being of interest (because of what it's made of), inspects it and finds it ought to be fumigated, they will contact you at the address on the label.

Hi JandM

Thanks for detailed info , i will try again if i can find a shop in Nz else will ask someone to send from India.

Regards
    Sundari

Quote Originally Posted by sundari127 View Post
    I checked with couple of music instrument shops in wellington,but could not find it.
    Which ones? My ex-husband manages one of them but not in the CBD. He might be able to help if you've not already tried.

I looked at the website for The Guava Tree, an Indian shop in Wellington. They don't stock musical instruments, but if you get in touch, they might be able to help with contacts. Good luck!

Hi Adams Girl

I checked with music works and music planet.

Will check with The Guava tree as well..Thanks for the pointers

Quote Originally Posted by sundari127 View Post
    Hi Adams Girl

I checked with music works and music planet.

Will check with The Guava tree as well..Thanks for the pointers
    My ex works for a different music chain. I've e-mailed him to ask if they stock them, or can source them. Will let you know what I find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Adams Girl View Post
    My ex works for a different music chain. I've e-mailed him to ask if they stock them, or can source them. Will let you know what I find out.
    Thats gr8

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast