Thread: Hiring freezes

Default Hiring freezes

Gosh they're annoying.

I've applied for a job where they want someone with a qualification that I don't have, but I have plenty of experience in the field. From 15 applicants they've shortlisted down to 3 and I'm one of them. At the end of last week this quite large company slapped a hiring freeze on all divisions. They called today - the job listing closed 2 Fridays ago - and informed me of this, and asked me if I'm still interested once they figure out this whole freeze thingy. Yes, I am, definitely, but still... grrrrr!!!

Anyone else been frustrated by this?

I have actually heard of a couple of cases where a company has had a hiring freeze kick in right after offering someone a job, and that someone has already resigned... then they've rescinded the job offer. What a nightmare!!

Congratulations on the shortlisting, even though it's led to this frustration.

Thanks JandM! Absolutely no clue if/when - let's be realistic and say "when" - it will be lifted, but at least they know I'm still keen. Sigh...

I undestanding your fustration, going through the entire process and only to be told at last minute that the jobs on hold. Goodluck on your job search and don't be surprised if you get a call couple of months down the line from the same company HR checking with you , if you are still interested :-)

Adams Girl I am right in the middle of a very similar situation. I interviewed for a job with my current company that would allow me to work in NZ and fly every quarter to Aus and they ended up putting all the 2nd Quarter job reqs on hold UGH!!! So trust me I am in the same situation. And it is very frustrating. But I do hope it works out for you as well as for me. Good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shawankit View Post
    I undestanding your fustration, going through the entire process and only to be told at last minute that the jobs on hold. Goodluck on your job search and don't be surprised if you get a call couple of months down the line from the same company HR checking with you , if you are still interested :-)
    Fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwihusker View Post
    Adams Girl I am right in the middle of a very similar situation. I interviewed for a job with my current company that would allow me to work in NZ and fly every quarter to Aus and they ended up putting all the 2nd Quarter job reqs on hold UGH!!! So trust me I am in the same situation. And it is very frustrating. But I do hope it works out for you as well as for me. Good luck!!!
    What a horrible situation! I hope they un-freeze the job you're going for. Best of luck!

It's a big old roller-coaster. You will land but don't get taken in by the highs (until you sign on the dotted line) and don't be distraught about the lows (other jobs come along). God luck with everything, D.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Definitely tell them that you'll remain interested but you will have to pursue other opportunities in the meantime. It swings both ways and they can't expect you to remain available forever!

And to be honest, would you prefer they got down to the shortlist stage then said "sorry but we've got a recruitment freeze on and can't bring anyone new on board"; or have them offer you a job, you accept it, resign from your current permanent job, then get told the day before you start that they've announced a restructure and your new job is disestablished in the new proposal?

Yes I speak from experience as this happened to me last month. On the plus side I've ended up with a promotion out of the restructure but it isn't best practice in my book. I'd rather have the situation you're in, however frustrating.