Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flights booked finally!!

Default Flights booked finally!!

I came over here to look up some old prices on shipping containers, and looks like we are back in business on ENZ!! WOO HOO!! So, while I'm at it, I'll inform all that we booked our flights to arrive in Auckland Sept. 13th! Still hunting for a job, but all is good so far.

The only thing I was a little shocked at was a price i got on a partial shipping container. 300 Cu. Ft. for NZ$8000. I could have sworn I have seen full containers shipping from california for $5000. but maybe I was wrong, that's why I came to look it up. Now that price they gave was for them to do the packing etc.. and I'm awaiting on a price if i do it myself, but wow!! I knew shipping was expensive, but i didn't think it would be that bad for so little!!

Anyway hope all are well here on the forum, and glad that it's back!

Dan

Congrats! I just had a phone interview for a job in Auckland and hope my wife and I will be there (or Wellington) by January. Amazing how many stops and starts and ups and downs with this process. Hard to keep NZ simmering on the back-burner while living in the "real world" not knowing if the move will ever happen. But I guess that makes it even more exciting when it all falls in place.

Hey Dan! Congratulations! We'll be flying in at the end of October, but we're headed to Wellington.

That does seem expensive. We decided not to ship anything over, but we had quotes a few months ago for 20 foot containers and they were all around $9,500 - $10,000 (USD).

Hey Dan, I have had a quote for a 20 foot container where we pack it ourselves (we were planning on hiring some professional packers off of Craigslist to help us make it all happen). And the quote was for around $6k. And then we spoke to another company where they packed the entire 20foot container for us and it was around $10k. so we'll see what we end up doing. We are hoping to fly over in September as well and planning to be in Auckland as of right now. Best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by tk1 View Post
    Amazing how many stops and starts and ups and downs with this process. Hard to keep NZ simmering on the back-burner while living in the "real world" not knowing if the move will ever happen. But I guess that makes it even more exciting when it all falls in place.
    you hit the nail on the head with that one! I dont know how many times everyone would ask us what's going on with it, and we were just like.. well... we are still planning. haha.. but it is a whole different feeling when you press that confirm button to buy your plane tickets! Also, Hope the interview went well! We may or may not end up in Auckland, but we figure that's a good starting point for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Azkateaz View Post
    Hey Dan! Congratulations! We'll be flying in at the end of October, but we're headed to Wellington.

That does seem expensive. We decided not to ship anything over, but we had quotes a few months ago for 20 foot containers and they were all around $9,500 - $10,000 (USD).
    Hey Kate! That's awesome you guys are flying out in October! So, Congrats to you too! I am definitely in the process of getting a few other quotes, and we'll see what happens from there! So you guys are just taking your suitcases and replacing everything over in NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwihusker View Post
    Hey Dan, I have had a quote for a 20 foot container where we pack it ourselves (we were planning on hiring some professional packers off of Craigslist to help us make it all happen). And the quote was for around $6k. And then we spoke to another company where they packed the entire 20foot container for us and it was around $10k. so we'll see what we end up doing. We are hoping to fly over in September as well and planning to be in Auckland as of right now. Best of luck to you.
    Thanks Brigid, Would you happen to have the company that provided you those quotes? If not, that's fine... but figured their rates seem more affordable than what I have gotten so far.

We emailed back and forth with this company. Matt I believe is a Kiwi. And Kiwieagle used them recently. I had to make it clear we wanted a quote for us to pack it ourselves. And I knew our house was going to fit into a 20 foot container, because years ago I had someone come out to asses our home for shipping to NZ. This company drops the container for only like 3 hours, so it isn't much time, but I knew if we need to make it work, we can do it.
    Matt Otway <matt@mmilogisticsinc.com>
    President-CEO
    MMI Logistics Inc.
    19818 South Alameda Street
    Rancho Dominguez , CA 90221
    (310)898-1517 main, (213)928-2532 direct, (310)898-1067 fax.
    Website. www.mmilogisticsinc.com
    skype ID: matt.otway

I haven't yet emailed with Rainier, but I recall someone that moved from Seattle/Oregon area and they were charged right around $10k for a 20 foot container and have it ALL packed by the company. I was going to contact them very soon. And I have heard good things about them as well as Crown. Keep me posted as I will do the same. I know we are moving from the same area. Maybe we think about sharing a 40' container and save ourselves a bunch of money.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwihusker View Post

I haven't yet emailed with Rainier, but I recall someone that moved from Seattle/Oregon area and they were charged right around $10k for a 20 foot container and have it ALL packed by the company. I was going to contact them very soon. And I have heard good things about them as well as Crown. Keep me posted as I will do the same. I know we are moving from the same area. Maybe we think about sharing a 40' container and save ourselves a bunch of money.
    That could be a possibility on sharing a container! I'm always up for saving money! The quote I received was from Crown. I'm not sure how much more a 20' container would be from them. They pack everything themselves, but I know I don't have NZ$8000 for only 300 Cu. Ft. of space. If other quotes come in that expensive, we may just be sending over a few boxes and figure something else out.

I have contacted Allied and Rainier for quotes as well, so I will see what they come back with. I have another few people that I have heard of that I will be calling shortly. I'll let you know how the quotes turn out though! And thanks for the shipping contact as well! I'll have to give them a try.

Shipping is crazy expensive isn't it!

We should be arriving in Wellington early October. We've both told work so just need to finalise dates and book!
    So exciting isn't it, although I don't think it will feel real until we have the flights booked, or maybe until we get on the plane!

We just got a quote for $5,725 from NY to Welly, plus we will need pick-up on our side for a 40ft container, self-packed from Crowns. Looks like we will need 2 of them given my husband's hobbies.

I know it's more money, but I would suggest biting the bullet and paying for packing inclusive service. They will isolate the things that MAFF might want to secondarily inspect, coordinate all the reporting and paperwork, pack here and unpack there. Should include insurance as well.

If you pack it they will not insure you for damages and MAFF may hold your things for longer because of difficulties finding those hiking boots they want to inspect for dirty treads.

I've done it both ways. Packed by them is definitely the way to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast