Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technology question

Default Technology question

Hi Forum

Just wondering if NZ has digital radio, and if it does will a UK digital radio work there? I'm not fussed about getting UK radio signal, even though i've heard NZ radio is not great, (but we're not moving there for great radio) and i just want some music on in the background while i'm pottering around the house.

Also, i'm looking at buying a new ipod dock/speakers, and i'd like to know how prices compare to the UK? My plan at the minute is to buy one here and ship it, but if there's not much price difference then i'll just wait until we get out there and buy one there. I have had a look using the search facility for answers to these questions, but the threads it brings up are all quite old so i thought i'd ask again.

Thanks

P.S. I did ask a pretty random question in another thread but got no replies so i'll tag it on the end here and hope to get lucky; does anybody know if plumbing fittings/pipe sizes etc. in NZ are the same as in the UK? I've got quite a few plumbing tools and i'm not sure if they are worth bringing or putting on the car boot sale?

Cheers

There are quite some radio stations that are great, IMHO. Depends what you are listening to.

I don't know the range - in kHZ etc. - of stations in UK by comparison to here but an internet search might provide answers.

Thanks Ralf. To be honest i think i'll hang on and pick up a radio when we get out there. Any ideas on prices of ipod dock/speakers?

I forgot to mention also that we are looking at buying a DVD recorder so we can put our video and camcorder tapes of the kids onto DVD to send home to relatives. I know that it needs to be a "Zone 0" or "Zone free", but again, any ideas on price of electronic equipment in general please?

For up-to-date pricing I suggest you look online. Here are a few places you might try:

http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/
    http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/

And of course for the iPod you can always look directly at Apple's website and select New Zealand to see what it would cost to buy direct from Apple once you're in NZ.

Internet Radio?

With Internet Radio, you can listen to whatever type of radio station you want. And with an iPhone and a couple of apps (I use TuneIn Radio) you can have these as portable as you want.

Right now I'm listening to BBC Radio Five and traffic reports about the M25. So glad I no longer need to worry about the M25 and it's traffic anymore.

You probably have more choice and availability in the UK for electrical goods. Again, the Internet gives you the power to browse and choose. Recently got a blu ray player that with a little tweaking can play DVDs from any region.

As for your collection of plumbing supplies, why not phone one of the big DIY store chains in New Zealand such as Bunnings or Mitre 10 Mega and ask them.

Thanks for that Azkateaz, those links were really useful. With the limited bit of research i did using them and some online stores in the UK it seems that there is not as much choice in NZ, and the difference in price is variable between the individual products. I would say in general that electrical goods are more expensive there, especially at the lower end of the price scale, but there are also some bargains to be had too.
    Rogercruse that seems like good advice with regards the the radio issue. I was thinking of selling my iphone as i need to buy out of my contract in the UK, and the amount i'd get for my iphone would just about cover that cost, but i'm not so sure now. Maybe i'll just shoulder the cost.
    It looks like i'll buy the stuff here while i've got the chance and bring it out with me.
    Also thanks for the DIY store names. I can't believe i didn't think of such a simple solution

You can get a US IP address and a UK one? for a few $ per month to allow you to play internet radio and Netflix. Also I heard Pandora was coming to NZ. One of the reasons I'm comfortable coming over is that you are not that isolated any more.

iTunes will allow you to play most radio stations from around the world from your computer through your stereo speakers. We don't even have a radio anymore and don't need to pay anything for a new IP address.

No go with digital radio and no sign of it happening anytime soon. I would suggest that you buy a radio and bring it with you, they are more expensive here, even for a basic model.

As far as radio stations are concerned, there are a variety to listen to so it's best to sample and find what suits...... music tastes are v different. Of course with am you can always get the BBC World service. I must admit I download podcsats from BBC radio 4 &5 and listen at leisure!!

We've got a digital radio we brought with us, and we get 5 or 6 digital radio stations in East Auckland. For the docking station, some other websites are http://www.bondandbond.co.nz/ , www.thegoodguys.co.nz/ , www.dicksmith.co.nz/ but remember if you buy it in the UK then you'll need to change the plug here! Best to get one here to be honest as there's quite a few on offer. Hope it helps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast