Thread: Work visa under partner with student visa?

Angry Work visa under partner with student visa?

help.. my friend would like to clarify this one. his partner is in nz and he will be petitioned with an open work visa w/ the aid of her student visa. i have also read this somewhere. is this the most practical solution? you see my friend is also thinking of lodging on his own. pride i guess.

It depends on what kind of course of study his partner is doing, whether he would be eligible to get a work visa because of it.

Your partner holds a New Zealand student visa
    You must be in a genuine and stable relationship with your partner and they must hold a New Zealand student visa to study for:

a level seven (or higher) qualification on the New Zealand Qualification Framework in an area of absolute skill shortage as specified in the Long Term Skill Shortage List, or
    a postgraduate qualification.
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm

If someone is eligible for a partner-sponsored visa, it is normally a quicker process than anything based on the person's skills, because (a) partner visas are prioritized, and (b) there is ONLY the partnership to be proved and checked (over and above character and health, which are the same for everyone), not qualifications and work experience, which can be a source of delay because of all the other people involved who may not answer promptly.

On the other hand, if this person can qualify for a visa in his own right, he won't be wondering about what will happen when the partner's course of study is over.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    It depends on what kind of course of study his partner is doing, whether he would be eligible to get a work visa because of it.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm

If someone is eligible for a partner-sponsored visa, it is normally a quicker process than anything based on the person's skills, because (a) partner visas are prioritized, and (b) there is ONLY the partnership to be proved and checked (over and above character and health, which are the same for everyone), not qualifications and work experience, which can be a source of delay because of all the other people involved who may not answer promptly.

On the other hand, if this person can qualify for a visa in his own right, he won't be wondering about what will happen when the partner's course of study is over.
    whoa.. thanks for clearing things up.. i really appreciate it