Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5 weeks in --- Chch

Quote Originally Posted by amy71 View Post
    Great update and glad to hear that the family is settled in except for the EQ. One more this morning? Stay safe.

As for schooling, my two came from a Chinese School in Penang and when they got here....woohooo it was like endless holiday. If the mother use to get stress up about the kids' stress in school, now the mother is stressed up b'cos the kids have got no stress and are too relax. LOL

I have 2 very different children. One very sporty and loves the sports he get himself into and one still academic driven but loves the freedom she is able to express herself in her studies. They have both found their niche and are thriving.

I know the kids are in school and hubby just started work but if you ever need a break from the shake, come to the Bay of Plenty.

Cheers,
    Amy
    Dear Amy,

Mind me asking, how old are your kids? How did you find it to settle in? Did your kids find it hard? How soon were you able to get your kids into school?

Quote Originally Posted by amy71 View Post
    As for schooling, my two came from a Chinese School in Penang and when they got here....woohooo it was like endless holiday. If the mother use to get stress up about the kids' stress in school, now the mother is stressed up b'cos the kids have got no stress and are too relax. LOL
    Hi Amy,

My kids were from Chinese school, too. My eldest boy especially likes it here as it's sports everyday and no homework at all. Totally agree with you that I got all stressed up when the kids have nothing to do at home. Well, now I learn to take things easy because I have very good report about the kids from their teachers .

Plan to take the kids to the mountain for a day trip skiing this coming school holiday. Think they will like it and it must be a good experience for them.

Hi Azilah,

Hope you don't mind I answer your questions. My kids are primary school age and they absolutely love their school here. It's very easy to get them enrol in school as long as your home is zoned for the school. The procedure is very simple and fast. Just make an appointment to meet up with the principal, fill in the application form, show the kids' residency status, state when to start school, have a friendly chat with the principal and the kids are enrolled! The kids can start school as soon as they have the necessary stationeries and school uniforms.

Quote Originally Posted by snowy_apple View Post
    Hi Mamee,

The EQ on Friday really scared me as I was alone at home while the kids were in school and OH in the office. If all of us were together, maybe I would be more calm. Anyway, I was calm !!

Yes, we are sort of settling in now. The kids love school and the best thing is that they can just walk to school, meaning they can have more time to laze on the bed in the morning!

Thank you for your kind support and sound advice all this while, I appreciate it.
    Hi Snowy Apple,

We are also new migrants from Malaysia Penang to be specific, living in Chch for over 4 months now. Do you want to meet up? We have 2 children too..one at Riccarton High and another at Merrin Primary. Whereabouts in Chch do you live in?

Sorry for the late reply. Have not been on the forum lately.

Azilah, like what Snowy Apple said, it's really easy to get the kids into school. We had our 2 in school on day 5 after we landed in NZ. But in our case, we know the school we were planning to enrol the kids into and were already in communication with the Principal before we arrived. But no worries, it is very simple.

Snowy Apple,

Totally know what you mean. Both my kids had good school report so this mum has learn to loosen up.

We are at the moment in Welly and heading up to Mt Ruapehu on our back up to Tauranga on Thursday. The kids are really looking forward to the snow.

Thank you,

Most pleasant to hear from you and glad to know that everything is going on smoothly.I assume you are a Malaysian too?Is it too cold?Did your kids find it difficult to adjust to the weather and school?What do they learn?What syllabus do they follow?Just interested to know.

Thanks a lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by snowy_apple View Post
    Hi Azilah,

Hope you don't mind I answer your questions. My kids are primary school age and they absolutely love their school here. It's very easy to get them enrol in school as long as your home is zoned for the school. The procedure is very simple and fast. Just make an appointment to meet up with the principal, fill in the application form, show the kids' residency status, state when to start school, have a friendly chat with the principal and the kids are enrolled! The kids can start school as soon as they have the necessary stationeries and school uniforms.

Hi Azilah,

Yes, we are Msian from KL...PJ to be specific. The weather is not too bad if you are in a warm home. My rental is very cold and I just don't like the cold. The kids are fine with the cold and they are actually looking forward to another snowy day!

The kids have no problem adjusting to school as they know English well and believe me, if they can survive Msian education system, they have no problem here...at least at the primary level. In school they do reading, writing, maths, a bit of science, technology (wood/metal work, craft - year 7 and 8), arts, a bit of Maori language, some dance (maori kapa haka, Scottish dance, impact dance), music and singing, and a lot of sports. They love their 20-minute break and 1-hour lunch time because after eating they can either play sports or in the playground. They had no such luxury back in Msia.

However, education here is not always free nor cheap. Be prepared to spend quite a bit on school uniforms, stationeries and school activities.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12