Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 weeks in --- Chch

Default 5 weeks in --- Chch

Hi everyone,

We have been in Christchurch for about 5 weeks now. The first 5 days were spent in the campavan, followed by 2 weeks in a holiday home somewhere at the east of CBD. Then by God's grace we got a fully-furnished 3-bedroom small rented house in north west chch, just 4 houses away from the school where the boys are going .

The school here is indeed very different from where I came from. There are no text books and only the exercise books and they are all kept in school. Basically the boys bring only PE uniform, sports shoes, lunch box and water bottle to school. And everyday there are sports and sports only. I don't know what they learn academically. In Malaysia, they had tones of books in their school bags and lots of homework as well. Here, they only talk to me about what sports they play, which team they are in and which schools they compete with every Friday. I think they love school...yeah...I think they love school here .

A week into work, OH was informed that his office was not safe and everybody was allowed to work from home. What a great news! But he has to be based in his client's place. So, a bit disappointing for him. But overall, he's doing well in his new work place.

Just 5 weeks in Chch, and I had experienced 2 times the power of EQ. Yesterday's one was indeed scary . Wasn't sure what to do. Rushed to doorway and the shake stopped. Heart was pounding. Hope this was the last quake I felt...but very unlikely!! Yeah...not a bad experience but I would never want to have it again for the rest of my life if possible!

Well, everything is so far so good. The weather is crazily cold, outside as well as inside the house! Somehow quite miss the warm weather back in Malaysia. Anyway, we are all fine and slowyly settling in now.

Thanks for the update, congratulations on your new start, and all good wishes for continuing to settle in.

(You can change your location now. )

It all sounds as if it is going well - apart from the earthquakes of course.

Whilst it isn't something we now have to think about, I do hear that the schooling is different to what we would expect in the UK too. My cousins two children went through NZ schooling a the same time as our children went through UK schooling and to us it seemed very sporty and not too academic. 15 years later all our children are at/have finished University, doing academic subjects and are now going into work with the qualifications they need. So they must achieve the same goals just in a different way. The main thing to us would be that they were enjoying school. It sounds like your children love school.

Yes, do change your location to show you have finally made it to NZ ( I know it will be the first thing we do )

Quote Originally Posted by snowy_apple View Post
    Here, they only talk to me about what sports they play, which team they are in and which schools they compete with every Friday. I think they love school...yeah...I think they love school here .
    I cannot read this to my kid or he will be even more impatient! Sounds like heaven for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeandcaroline View Post
    Yes, do change your location to show you have finally made it to NZ ( I know it will be the first thing we do )
    Can't wait to do so.

we can't wait to go to Chch. only 1 week to go! my little girl cant wait to go to school. i think we'll adjust easily with the quakes though, coming from seismically active Taiwan. best of luck to you!

Glad to hear that you are settling in ok and that the children love school. Mine much prefer it here too...seems more like school that I remember as a child, rather than constant sit in your seats and learn...you can move and learn too! In fact, that was one of my son's comments, that you moved around a lot more!!

The earthquake on Friday afternoon certainly set the adrenalin going again....and I am well used to them....but it was not too bad, though I can understand it would seem scary, as it has been quite quiet of late.

Good luck

Mamee

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    (You can change your location now. )
    Hey JandM, you reminded me...changed my location

Quote Originally Posted by mikeandcaroline View Post
    15 years later all our children are at/have finished University, doing academic subjects and are now going into work with the qualifications they need. So they must achieve the same goals just in a different way. The main thing to us would be that they were enjoying school. It sounds like your children love school.

Yeah, I heard from other parents that they don't actually worry about what the kids learn academically in primary and junior high. As long as the kids enjoy school and like to be with their teachers and friends, they will learn through playing and even socializing, and they achieve the same qualifications they need in university. So, I think I just have to adapt the schooling system here and not to worry too much.

Quote Originally Posted by expatella View Post
    I cannot read this to my kid or he will be even more impatient! Sounds like heaven for kids.

Well...for the 2 weeks the kids in school, they had 2 football matches with other schools for 2 Fridays, enjoyed one 'Hollywood' disco night organised by the school, went to career expo, had 3 sponge throws at the teachers for $1 during 1 lunch time (fund raising for St Johns), lots of exercises, runs, basketballs, footballs, playgrounds during break and lunch time, very minimal homework, close to none... Heaven for kids?

Quote Originally Posted by bunot View Post
    we can't wait to go to Chch. only 1 week to go! my little girl cant wait to go to school. i think we'll adjust easily with the quakes though, coming from seismically active Taiwan. best of luck to you!

According to the locals, that quake was nothing! But for me from a place that has no EQ, that experience was not that good . I believe your little girl will like school here, especially if she has started school back home (I know schools in Taiwan just the same as Malaysia, right?). Have a safe journey to Chch!

Hi Mamee,

The EQ on Friday really scared me as I was alone at home while the kids were in school and OH in the office. If all of us were together, maybe I would be more calm. Anyway, I was calm !!

Yes, we are sort of settling in now. The kids love school and the best thing is that they can just walk to school, meaning they can have more time to laze on the bed in the morning!

Thank you for your kind support and sound advice all this while, I appreciate it.

Great update and glad to hear that the family is settled in except for the EQ. One more this morning? Stay safe.

As for schooling, my two came from a Chinese School in Penang and when they got here....woohooo it was like endless holiday. If the mother use to get stress up about the kids' stress in school, now the mother is stressed up b'cos the kids have got no stress and are too relax. LOL

I have 2 very different children. One very sporty and loves the sports he get himself into and one still academic driven but loves the freedom she is able to express herself in her studies. They have both found their niche and are thriving.

I know the kids are in school and hubby just started work but if you ever need a break from the shake, come to the Bay of Plenty.

Cheers,
    Amy

Great post! Glad to hear you are all settling in so nicely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast