Thread: Anyone cleared shipped goods with customs/MAF on own?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Anyone cleared shipped goods with customs/MAF on own?

Hi all

I am looking into shipping a few boxes with a car. I have been told by the shippers that I could have 'to port only' and clear the goods with customs and MAF myself. I figured that as they would be arriving with the car I would need to visit anyway so I might as well sort the boxes out myself at the same time and save a bit of money.

Has anyone done this? How easy was it? It it easier just to let the company do it?

Thanks!

I'ts very easy to check the stuff through yourself. I've done it a couple of times but not recently.

From memory...

1. You get the paperwork from the shipping company that tells you that your goods are waiting for you in their bonded warehouse. Take this and the manifest to the MAF office. Fill in some forms, pay some money, arrange to meet them at the warehouse for inspection.
    2. Take the same paperwork to the customs. Fill in some forms, pay money etc. They will then raise the paperwork that informs the shipper that the goods can be released (as far as customs are concerned)
    3. Meet the MAF man for inspection and all being well he will raise paperwork for release also. You are then free to take you goods.

The car is a little more involved. Just make sure you have the log book (V5) AND some proof of ownership, also your passport with visa that shows that you are an immigrant. There is/was an exemption that allows you to bring a car in without paying tax and duty as long as you don't sell it too soon. There is also a whole lot of stuff about getting it registered here but there are lots of other threads on that subject.

I can't remember a whole lot about the process, but I did it myself as well without a shipping company/agency. I had a number of boxes in the car, and went to a warehouse by the airport to pick up stuff and car. The boxes were easy, the car more involved, but all worked out in the end.

Good luck,
    Daniela

Thanks Both!

Does the shipping company phone you the to let you know its arrived and in the warehouse waiting for you?

I assumed the boxes would be near the port? Are they taken to warehouses near the airport then?

Cheers

They either phone or write to you but it is worth checking that they DO have the right contact details. Where the stuff ends up will rather depend upon the shipping company I guess.