Thread: Shipping quotes

Default Shipping quotes

We still do not know when we will actually leave for NZ, but are now thinking about getting quotes from companies.

I have some questions: we still have quite a bit that we would leave- does thsi have to be moved out when the companies visit (I.e. we have not sorted through anything yet!

Secondly- when they do come to ship and pack: how do they do this? Would we have to fill a room or do they move from room to room?

Next- what happens if you don't have anywhere to live (and are not even sure what island)- do they wait to ship first?

We have a Pioneer 42" plasma- is that worth taking or should we sell in the UK?

Finally- silly a perhaps, but how long does it take to ship to NZ?

Ta,

Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by Delta_Cephei View Post
    We still do not know when we will actually leave for NZ, but are now thinking about getting quotes from companies.

I have some questions: we still have quite a bit that we would leave- does thsi have to be moved out when the companies visit (I.e. we have not sorted through anything yet!

Secondly- when they do come to ship and pack: how do they do this? Would we have to fill a room or do they move from room to room?

Next- what happens if you don't have anywhere to live (and are not even sure what island)- do they wait to ship first?

We have a Pioneer 42" plasma- is that worth taking or should we sell in the UK?

Finally- silly a perhaps, but how long does it take to ship to NZ?

Ta,

Eliot
    When the shippers come to quote they will walk round the while house and you point out what is staying and what is going. They make a note of it all and then give an estimate of the size container to use. No need to sort & remove all unwanted stuff at that point.

When they come to pack they move from room to room and they go QUICK .When I say quick I mean it. You have to make sure things you want left out to use or take in luggage are completely separate. When we moved my son left his pyjama bottoms on the bannister like he did every day for use that night. They packed them!!! They will wrap & pack and then pile it all in one place as they go round.

If you don't have an address yet you have 2 options - either store it in the UK with the shippers and then ship when you know you will be ready or store it at the other end until you have an address. Depends on cost of course!!

We have a 42" plasma which they built a special crate for and shipped it in that. It even made the return journey in the same crate. TV was fine. Up to you whether you bring or not. If it is in good condition and working see what the additional cost to bring it would be and then decide.

Time to ship - if a sole container anything from 10 -12 weeks. Shared container maybe longer.

Hope this helps

When we came over we had Our goods in storage for nearly 18 months while our house was built. We had 2 containers and all our clothes, important stuff we had delivered to our temporary address and the 40 ft container contents remained in storage.We had 2 choices here. We could have left the bigger container in storage in UK or New Zealand but we found the storage costs were cheaper in NZ so we had it bought over.We had a 50 "tv and they built a crate for that too and it is still working fine 5 years later.

Our container was collected from Crewe on August 10th and delivered in Auckland on October 3rd after a week in storage, I was very impressed.

Simon

Do the movers just take the boxes away and pack in their yard, or do they bring the container to your house?

We had the containers at our house which then went straight to the dock but it depends on the circumstances.If you have only a part container then they will load the container elsewhere also if you live somewhere where it is difficult access then they will put your goods in smaller trucks and load elsewhere and friends of ours had their goods kept in storage in the UK for 2 months before it was put in a container

Ours packed the boxes in a van for the first two days and then loaded the container on the afternoon of the third day. The container was only there for a couple of hours. Unloading they used a smaller van as we live at the bottom of a steep drive with a couple of tight turns.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Delta_Cephei View Post

We haven't yet even put in our EOI, but decided to get shipping quote for budgeting purposes. We've only had Anglo Pacific in so far just to give us an idea of the cost - which after sharing on the forum seems to be a pretty average quote for what we want to ship.

We just gave some thought ahead of them coming as to the things we knew we wouldn't take, those we would and the 'nice to haves' depending on space. We then explained this to the esimtator. The quote came in at needing a 20ft container, and we would have some spare space for the 'nice to haves'. Personally, I prefer to know the worst case and then work from there. Tell them everything you know you want to take and the maybes and then decide if you think it is worth paying to ship it . Forumites living out there are very helpful at telling what is expensive to replace etc.