Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teaching mathematics in New Zealand

It depends. If your degree, at the institution where you studied, for the year you were awarded it, is on this list http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ndguides/lorq/, you will not need to have it assessed. Otherwise, NZQA will have to assess it to see how it compares to a similar degree from NZ.

Hello everyone! Like Marco, I am interested in possibly getting a job teaching in NZ. I come from Ireland and have a degree in Civil Engineering. I have also just completed my Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PDE), which is the requirement to teach here in Ireland. I have 2 years teaching experience, teaching Maths and Science to 12-18 year olds. Can anyone help me out and let me know if I have a chance of getting some work if I applied?! Would I be qualified to teach with all the qualifications stated above or would I need further training in NZ? If I do in fact qualify, where would be a good place to apply for jobs (on either island)?!

Thank you very much in advance.

P.S. Do you guys have Applied Maths in your schools?! Cheers!

http://www.teacherscouncil.govt.nz/c...rseas-teachers This is the place to look for all the necessary information. You have to register with NZTC, and be checked out in order to do so. From what other teachers have said, the NZTC officials themselves can be very helpful on small points if you contact them informally, as well as this being the body that does all the official assessment and registration.

Mathematics is an area where there is a demand for secondary teachers, but as others have said you need to be certified to teach in NZ.

You could do a teaching credential in Italy if NZ recognizes those credentials. Or you could get your credential in the UK or Ireland or another country whose teaching credentials are recognized in NZ. OR you could come to NZ to get your teaching credential, if you can get a place in a teacher training programme at a NZ university or polytechnic. But you would be paying international fees and only be able to work 10-20 hours per week whilst studying.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12