Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching mathematics in New Zealand

Default Teaching mathematics in New Zealand

Good afternoon,
    my name's Marco, i live in Italy, but in the future i'd like to find a job in NZ.
    I have a degree in civil engineering, but my dream is teaching maths in the south island (Dunedin, Invercargill,....)
    How can i do?
    it's a million of dollars question, but i don't want erase my dream starting.

Thank you very much.

Hello and welcome.

What work do you do at the moment?

And do you have any qualifications in mathematics, or in teaching?

Hello!

P

Quote Originally Posted by mabo View Post
    Good afternoon,
    my name's Marco, i live in Italy, but in the future i'd like to find a job in NZ.
    I have a degree in civil engineering, but my dream is teaching maths in the south island (Dunedin, Invercargill,....)
    How can i do?
    it's a million of dollars question, but i don't want erase my dream starting.

Thank you very much.
    Hello and welcome! The south is really a good choice!

You might check with Otago Polytechnic or the Southern Institute of Technology. They both teach construction trades, so you might be able to teach 'applied mathematics'.

Hello,
    thanks for answers, i haven't qualification in mathematics or teaching...
    Public school and and private school are different in the teaching system or not?
    Do you must send a curriculum?
    I apologize but i'm embarrassed.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mabo View Post
    Hello,
    thanks for answers, i haven't qualification in mathematics or teaching...
    Public school and and private school are different in the teaching system or not?
    Do you must send a curriculum?
    I apologize but i'm embarrassed.
    Thanks.
    I assumed so much.

I know that at one stage this was possible in Germany: As a qualified and experienced engineer teaching trades students of your own field. The reasoning was that you know your particular area of - applied mathematics e.g.
    Last edited by ralf-nz; 30th May 2012 at 10:49 PM.

Is there a good web site where i can see these kind of informations (teaching,schools etc...)?
    Thanks.

http://www.teacherscouncil.govt.nz/
    http://www.minedu.govt.nz/NZEducation.aspx
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_New_Zealand

I really don't think you have any chance of going directly into teaching in NZ without any qualifications or experience. You will not get a visa as a skilled person when you're not, for obvious reasons.

You might have more chance of getting in on the Skilled Migrant Scheme with your civil engineering qualifications - there is a lot of need for civil engineers at the moment, with all the rebuilding following the earthquake. If you manage to get Residence, you could then plan a change in career if you still feel the same way.

Another good website with information is http://www.teachnz.govt.nz/

For ECE, primary and secondary teachers need registration in NZ and the profession is no longer on the shortage list hence you initially only qualify for a work visa.

For tertiary education you don't need registration and the role of university lecturer is still on the shortage list but you will need a Master or a PhD and 1 year of working experience as a lecturer to qualify for a residence visa. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd.../0/INZ1093.pdf

Job openings for tertiary are all listed on the own websites of the Polytechnics and the Universities. I suggest you do a Google search for all tertiary institutions in your preferred region on the South Island as I'm not really familiar with tertiary education nor with the South Island myself.

Good luck with realising your dreams
    Last edited by Kath; 2nd June 2012 at 01:56 PM.

However i must convert my degree on the NZQA website, isn't it?
    Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast