Thread: The dreaded letter... tell me more

Arrow The dreaded letter... tell me more

Hello all,

Let's keep it simple, and say I would have the points, except for I can't go back and change my college major.

As I've found it difficult to find work from overseas, as many of us have, I've talked with a recruiter who had an opinion on why it's so hard. Even though I'm more or less qualified for a number of positions in IT, I have a well-rounded background. I don't have a super-specific niche skill. What I've been told is that most employers will in fact just wait because it's easier to just wait for someone "off the street" than to file the paperwork necessary to get someone through INZ.

So my question is simple. Is he right? Is it in fact a PITA for potential employers to deal with the Red Tape?

I'm caught in the loop where I'm on the LTSSL list, except that my degree isn't in IT. I got that degree 13 years ago, and I'm not going to waste money on an MBA. Thus, I'm on 125, and all I need is a job offer. When I talked to INZ, they made it sound like it was simply a matter of showing them a job offer letter. The recruiter said that the document that has to be submitted to INZ not only has to be a bona fide offer, but also must say that a New Zealander could not be hired for that position.

I am very confused... if employers have no incentive, this is an exercise in futility. If the process is easier than the recruiter states, then the perception mismatch is easier to fight.

Thoughts?

New Zealand has an almost 7% unemployment rate (and much higher than that in various regions). Solid Energy had layoffs. Mainzeal had hundreds of layoffs. Telecom is laying off over 1000 employees. Health Boards are planning layoffs. Hospitals in some areas are talking about drastically reducing services. Jobs are hard to get in NZ right now.

I can confirm to INZ's requirement about Job Offer letter ('no local candidate available'). Jobs are hard in NZ, and as kiwieagle said, the market is bit tight due to layoffs. Also NZ employers prefer to wait...we have one Senior position lying unfilled since last 6 months, but nobody seems to be in a hurry.

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....952#post359952 This old post covers some of the ground.

There are different ways for a NZ employer to go about taking on a migrant FOR A TEMPORARY WORK VISA - they can either already be an accredited employer http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...tepsfortalent/ (which involves having previously done formalities and checks, obviously http://www.immigration.govt.nz/emplo...m-high/talent/), or they will have to go through the checks as part of sponsoring you (showing that it is a viable business and that they've tried and failed to get a NZer for the position) http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../requirements/. Whether the employer considers this a PITA or not rather depends on how they are with paperwork.

I realize you have already applied for Residence under SMC, and you're hoping a job offer would boost your points and put you to the front of the queue for that. But in most cases, so as to have somebody start work within a reasonable time frame that doesn't hold up their plans for TOO long, the employer is going to want whoever they offer to, to apply for a temporary work visa which can be processed relatively quickly, so the situation just mentioned is going to apply to you. The job offer, and having started the job itself, will do the trick to get your EOI selected, and then the SMC application will tick away, taking the time it takes, while you've already started work.

There are many people on the forum who have done a recce trip to NZ and got themselves a job offer while there. Being on the spot to make a personal impression does seem to put them ahead of those who are just a letter with a foreign stamp. It's not easy. But that goes for lots of places in the world right now.

Any hope of the unemployment rate to go down in 2013?

I also have applied for Residence under SMC a few months ago(still in the pool with no hope of being selected), my degree is in IT and I have almost 8 years of experience in my domain. After applying for around 40-50 jobs, got short-listed twice, but after the initial pre-interview with the recruitment agent, things died(still waiting for a word) while waiting for the interview with the company.

Will do my best to try finding a suitable job for another 2-3 months, but if the result will still be same as now, then I`ll re-think my options(of where to start over).

Your best bet is to be here in NZ for job search, as NZ cos. are not keen to process overseas candidates (Visa or not).

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I realize you have already applied for Residence under SMC, and you're hoping a job offer would boost your points and put you to the front of the queue for that. But in most cases, so as to have somebody start work within a reasonable time frame that doesn't hold up their plans for TOO long, the employer is going to want whoever they offer to, to apply for a temporary work visa which can be processed relatively quickly, so the situation just mentioned is going to apply to you. The job offer, and having started the job itself, will do the trick to get your EOI selected, and then the SMC application will tick away, taking the time it takes, while you've already started work..
    I think this is generally true, but could be parsed a bit more. Which is unusual...you are the kween of precise and comprehensive info!

If you get a job offer before you application is allocated and reviewed it could expedite things, either:

1.The employer is accredited and your offer is for a position/job category that's pre-approved. Accredited employers have approval for certain jobs at certain levels, depending on industry and need.
    2. The employer is not accredited, but is willing to make a submission that they need you because there's no one in NZ who fits the bill.

For #1, if you submit a complete SMC application and there are no derailers (health or criminal record), your SMC application gets expedited and can be approved in weeks.

For #2, the time required for the employer to prove they need to hire a foreigner is the added timeline. I too suspect that would be several weeks or months--but if an employer is stuck they should be willing to wait, since they've got no other option.

But either scenario would be much faster than hoping to get your application accepted and your ITA in the queue. You'll be going in the London office and it seems like waits of up to 2 years are normal when there's no job offer.

I think this is generally true, but could be parsed a bit more. Which is unusual...you are the kween of precise and comprehensive info!
    LOL!

Even paragons can sometimes put a quick hand over things, and welcome masterly input like the above! (The quick hand occurred while fielding queries from an electrician, and making coffee for him and a plasterer working in our house. )