Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Degree's & Certificates & NZQA

Default Degree's & Certificates & NZQA

Hey peeps. Alan here from Malaysia.

The wife & I decided we like NewZealand and it would be smashing if we could get ourselves over there. But like many people before us, we hit a snag on the long and winding road to immigration. It looks like we'll get shot-down at NZQA stage even before we get our EOI submitted :~(

Anyway, here's how it goes:

Background:
    I'm an IT graduate with 6 yrs experience & my wife is a graduate too. Both of us have degree certs. EOI after self-evaluation is 140. I have not submitted my EOI yet, as I want to ensure that my qualifications is recognized by NZQA. So I pack all my certs & fly them over to NZQA for assessment. Currently, NZQA is having trouble assessing my docs.

IT Degree: (Nottingham Trent U)
    - studied in Malaysia, but degree awarded from UK
    - degree is not recognized by Malaysian govt, but is recognized by UK govt (explicitly stated on University website & confirmed via email correspondence with UK staff)
    - degree duration was 2 years, as I already have a professional certificate

IT Professional Certificate (NIIT)
    - studied in Malaysia, but awarded from India
    - the award says Professional Diploma, but somehow I think its just a professional certificate
    - again, the certificate is not recognized by Malaysian govt, but it was accepted by the UK university for enrollment into their degree program (they have mentioned this under APL, Accreditation of prior learning)
    - professional course duration was 2 years
    - the awarding institute in India can validate the cert, but as of yet they have not replied if the cert was recognized in india or not

NZQA Response
    They will not be able to assess unless they get accreditation info from Malaysia. I have already contacted the relevant parties and this will not be possible as Malaysia does not recognize the qualifications.

I need a lv7 or better assessment, but the way things are going, it looks like wishful thinking. Sigh, i'm feeling so depressed. This cant be the end, can it? I hope someone has some advice for me.
    Last edited by orcablue; 31st May 2012 at 06:56 PM.

How does it go if you try the application with your wife as the principal applicant, not you?

Or, another line of thought, have you looked at courses of study in NZ? If one of you got a student visa for a qualifying course, the other could get a work visa to match it for time. If once you got a NZ qualification, that would be a big step forward.

I'm hoping I can find a way to use my qualy, cuz its under long term shortage. My wife can't claim LTS points. However, if we can't get past NZQA with my qualy *sob*, then we'll try the wife as principle applicant

My wife is a marketing executive in the banking industry...her degree is in mass communication. I'm just wondering, if she becomes the principal applicant, will I be able to get a working visa for myself? Im in the Telecommunications Networking field.

BTW, I saw another post that may be similar to mine:
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28630

He managed to get a good assessment...but then again, not much details shared.

Whichever of a partnership is the principle applicant on an EOI, BOTH parties will get Residence if the application is successful. It's only the principle applicant's qualifications and work experience which are probed in depth, but if points are being claimed for the secondary applicant's qualifications, they may have to be assessed unless they're on the exempt list.

I've been scouring the web but the only place I could find info is this here (point #9 in particular):

http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/qualificatio...assessment-iqa

My degree was studied locally, but awarded by a university from overseas (UK).

Currently NZQA is seeking for accreditation from my countrys local authority body (MQA). Unfortunately MQA was only established in 2007, and my study program started in 2003.

Will NZQA operating strictly on accreditation from my countrys local accreditation authority, or will they consider accreditation info from an overseas university (with recognition from UK govt)?

Not sure if im interpreting point #9 correctly, but it seems if not recognized, then IQA will still be issued but with a note stating as such.
    Last edited by orcablue; 7th June 2012 at 02:41 PM.

This is an either/or, surely - that NZQA want to know that the institution is recognized by your country's accreditation authority, OR whatever other accreditation there may be. There's no question in your degree paperwork but that it was overseen by the UK university, I'm sure, so the last point (the note saying they don't know who accredited this) shouldn't arise.

Thanks J&M.

Alright, accreditation info submitted to NZQA officer via email....fingers & toes crossed!

Will update when I have more info.

Dear All

I am a civil engineer from Iran, which my degree is not in Washington Accord. However, it is mentioned in immigration site my university is exempt of assessment. Regarding this matter I submit an EOI and received ITA letter which required me to get assessment for bonus points.

I sent my documents to NZQA and they assessed as Bachelor of Science level-7. However, I need a letter of Bachelor of engineering. I am in trouble and after long time contacting with NZQA and IPENZ, I did not get the solution.

If anyone could help me I would be appreciated.

You mean the regulations dont allow Bachelor of Science for civil engineering career path?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast