Thread: Can I apply for Job if EOI gets selected

Default Can I apply for Job if EOI gets selected

Dear All

I wish to know if I can apply for job in NZ if my EOI gets selected.
    I have 150 pts and got selected on 30th May 2012 draw.
    Can I mention "I am eligible to work in NZ" or " I have NZ PR" .

I have got many responses from different companies in NZ. They want me to fil up application form but I am Confused on above matter.

Please guide.

Thank you in advance.

Anyone can legally apply for any job in NZ, whatever their visa status. What is not allowed is to start working without an appropriate visa. Also, many NZ employers won't consider applicants who don't yet have a visa, or who are not yet in the process.

Can I mention "I am eligible to work in NZ" or " I have NZ PR" .
    No, neither of these is true yet.* You could say, 'I have started the process of applying for Residence as a Skilled Migrant.'

* Your EOI has been selected from the pool on the basis of what you said about yourself - the words only have been looked at, and appear to fit. The next stage it will go through is a more careful check of the detail: unfortunately for some applicants, at this stage, the INZ officials find that people have claimed points they are not entitled to, e.g. the degree they have does not match with the skill, or some other error. If that is the case, the wrongly claimed points will be deducted, and the EOI may be put back in the pool, or, if this takes the points below 100, may be refused altogether.

If the officials find that all is in order, then they will issue an ITA - Invitation To Apply - which involves you supplying documentary proof of everything you have said about yourself, and a medical, and a police check. These papers will all be checked by a Case Officer.

If all is in order at that stage, and you don't yet have a job offer, then the CO will interview you to see if you have employability and will be able to contribute to NZ society (see all the old threads about Interview Questions). After that the decision will be made about what visa to grant. So only if you have approval after all those stages could you say, 'I have Residence.'

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Anyone can legally apply for any job in NZ, whatever their visa status. What is not allowed is to start working without an appropriate visa. Also, many NZ employers won't consider applicants who don't yet have a visa, or who are not yet in the process.

No, neither of these is true yet.* You could say, 'I have started the process of applying for Residence as a Skilled Migrant.'

* Your EOI has been selected from the pool on the basis of what you said about yourself - the words only have been looked at, and appear to fit. The next stage it will go through is a more careful check of the detail: unfortunately for some applicants, at this stage, the INZ officials find that people have claimed points they are not entitled to, e.g. the degree they have does not match with the skill, or some other error. If that is the case, the wrongly claimed points will be deducted, and the EOI may be put back in the pool, or, if this takes the points below 100, may be refused altogether.

If the officials find that all is in order, then they will issue an ITA - Invitation To Apply - which involves you supplying documentary proof of everything you have said about yourself, and a medical, and a police check. These papers will all be checked by a Case Officer.

If all is in order at that stage, and you don't yet have a job offer, then the CO will interview you to see if you have employability and will be able to contribute to NZ society (see all the old threads about Interview Questions). After that the decision will be made about what visa to grant. So only if you have approval after all those stages could you say, 'I have Residence.'
    Sir Thank you so much for response.T really appreciate your reply.
    I was just trying to look at possibility of geting job in hand to get / move things faster.

There's no reason at all that you shouldn't do that. If you can get a job offer, your application will get priority with INZ. Good luck!

It's possible to find people who will make a job offer, knowing that a visa is in the pipeline, but this is usually done by making a recce trip to NZ to meet employers in person.

It is not at all easy to get a job offer when outside the country. The trouble is that many NZ employers are mistrustful of applicants from overseas, because so many turn out to be timewasters. People apply for a job without having researched the stringent NZ immigration laws, and so without realizing the amount of time and money it will take to obtain a visa. Or they apply without having discussed the matter with their family, who are then not in agreement to such a change in their lives. In either case, the employer, who thought he had made an appointment for someone to start in the near future, would end up with nobody to do the job, and having to start all over again.

For this reason, many NZ employers are reluctant to deal with anyone from overseas, unless and until they have come to NZ to be interviewed. That, and having a visa, demonstrate a commitment of time and money, and go some way to proving the candidate's serious intentions to making the move.

Quite a few members of the forum have managed to get job offers by making a recce trip, having contacted prospective employers or agents beforehand, telling them when they will be available for interview.

If you get a job offer when your Skilled Migrant application is already in, and the CO finds it can't be processed in time for your employer's wished-for start date, s/he will often advise applying for a Work visa, as this can be put through more quickly. Then you get to start work, and the Residence process will carry on in the background.

There's no reason at all that you shouldn't do that. If you can get a job offer, your application will get priority with INZ. Good luck!

It's possible to find people who will make a job offer, knowing that a visa is in the pipeline, but this is usually done by making a recce trip to NZ to meet employers in person.

It is not at all easy to get a job offer when outside the country. The trouble is that many NZ employers are mistrustful of applicants from overseas, because so many turn out to be timewasters. People apply for a job without having researched the stringent NZ immigration laws, and so without realizing the amount of time and money it will take to obtain a visa. Or they apply without having discussed the matter with their family, who are then not in agreement to such a change in their lives. In either case, the employer, who thought he had made an appointment for someone to start in the near future, would end up with nobody to do the job, and having to start all over again.

For this reason, many NZ employers are reluctant to deal with anyone from overseas, unless and until they have come to NZ to be interviewed. That, and having a visa, demonstrate a commitment of time and money, and go some way to proving the candidate's serious intentions to making the move.

Quite a few members of the forum have managed to get job offers by making a recce trip, having contacted prospective employers or agents beforehand, telling them when they will be available for interview.

If you get a job offer when your Skilled Migrant application is already in, and the CO finds it can't be processed in time for your employer's wished-for start date, s/he will often advise applying for a Work visa, as this can be put through more quickly. Then you get to start work, and the Residence process will carry on in the background.
    Dear Sir

Thank you so much for bring patient to reply.

This post is a real eye opener.
    Thank you very much!

I applied for, and got offered two jobs between the time we submitted our ITAs, and getting assigned a CO. The places I applied, I wrote an explanation as to where I was at in the 'applying for residence' process, and then explained more thoroughly during my phone interviews. Having an offer really sped along my process, and the place that hired me (i work in health care) was used to the delays caused by hiring offshore. Best of luck!