Thread: Good enough salary in Wellington?

Default Good enough salary in Wellington?

Hi folks,

I've already accepted a job offer but just wondering what to expect with the pay that I will be receiving. Sorry if this has been asked numerous times here.

We'll be coming from Singapore and I'm used to earning some good salary here (annual base at around 110k SGD / 113k NZD) so what I'll be getting in NZ can be described as a downgrade in terms of salary (I accepted an 85k base package). But we love NZ and wouldn't really mind having to move my way back up again.

My question is, would this amount provide us a more or less comfortable lifestyle in Wellington? Will this be a good start for our prospects in the future (buying a house, etc)? We don't have kids yet, in our 30's, with a small dog.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.
    rme

A difficult question to answer really and depends on what type of lifestyle you are used to living. A decent rental will set you back about at least $450p/w (2 bed/heating/bit of decking etc.), so that's about a 1/3 of your monthly salary gone. Food shopping isn't cheap here, but if you are prepared to shop around for the best prices (bulk shop for your basics/fruit and veg from a market etc) you can spend a lot less than just doing it all at one supermarket.

Before we made the final decision about accepting my partner's job offer we looked at the likely monthly outgoings versus his monthly salary (after tax). It helped an awful lot to see the figures in black and white. You can find rough ideas of what internet/mobiles/utilities/petrol/public transport may cost you by looking at a few of the relevant company's website. To get an idea of food prices - in the supermarket at least - take a look at the Countdown website http://shop.countdown.co.nz/?banner=www

No one can tell you for definite whether $85k will be enough, as we all spend different amounts on different things and have differing definitions of "a comfortable lifestyle"! With regard to house buying, I think the banks are asking for around 25% deposit at the moment and with the average house price in Wellington being around the $450k mark you are looking at quite a substantial amount to save, if you don't already have funds available of course.

If you love NZ as much as you say, you will make it work!

Thanks!

You're right, everyone has their own idea of a "comfortable lifestyle" and the cost that you gave for a "decent" rent gives a good example there.

Rentals are slightly cheaper in Wellington, less traffic & rush (compared to Auckland) - do give it a thought in terms of salary as it might take a long time to bridge that gap - especially as (I guess) you will be moving here on Work Permit so might not want to switch over jobs any sooner.

Taxation in Singapore is very less but still cost of living is still high there.

Otherwise work-life balance here in New Zealand is way better than in Singapore which seems to be your priority - all the best .

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Is your partner planning on finding work too once you get here? That will be a big factor in affordability. We moved over with my job offer of a similar amount. We were in a similar boat to you - 30s, no kids, one dog. We lived centrally in a small apartment initially (we didn't have the pooch over here at that point) while my husband found a job and we figured out where we were going to live. I shopped at the fruit and veg market by Te Papa every weekend and got other staples from the New World across the road. We didn't have a car. We ate out or got take out a couple of times a week and usually went out with friends once or twice a week too.

We managed just fine at that point. We weren't saving much but we weren't having to worry about budgeting too tightly. I was still able to have my morning flat white! When hubby found a job we were then able to start saving. So we basically worked out we were living on my salary and saving his. And that is still the case.

Ultimately you can make it work if you want to. You will find ways, make compromises, and get on with it.

FYI - in terms of "working your way back up" the salary scale, I have done that - although my pay cut to come here wasn't as extreme - but I was earning more than I left in the UK after a year. So it is possible.

I'm reading that and remembering staying at a motel near Te Papa and New World. Want want want...Sigh. Apropos of nothing.

Hey thanks a lot Manks. Yes my partner's planning to find work.

We're planning to do the same, rent a small apartment in the central just to get a feel of what to expect... Then move in a suburb for longer stay when our dog arrives.
    Thanks for sharing your experience, sure helps us a lot in figuring out what to expect. Since you have been in a somewhat similar situation, I hope you don't mind if I send you PM every now and then.

Cheers.
    rme

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post
    Is your partner planning on finding work too once you get here? That will be a big factor in affordability. We moved over with my job offer of a similar amount. We were in a similar boat to you - 30s, no kids, one dog. We lived centrally in a small apartment initially (we didn't have the pooch over here at that point) while my husband found a job and we figured out where we were going to live. I shopped at the fruit and veg market by Te Papa every weekend and got other staples from the New World across the road. We didn't have a car. We ate out or got take out a couple of times a week and usually went out with friends once or twice a week too.

We managed just fine at that point. We weren't saving much but we weren't having to worry about budgeting too tightly. I was still able to have my morning flat white! When hubby found a job we were then able to start saving. So we basically worked out we were living on my salary and saving his. And that is still the case.

Ultimately you can make it work if you want to. You will find ways, make compromises, and get on with it.

FYI - in terms of "working your way back up" the salary scale, I have done that - although my pay cut to come here wasn't as extreme - but I was earning more than I left in the UK after a year. So it is possible.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by rme View Post
    Since you have been in a somewhat similar situation, I hope you don't mind if I send you PM every now and then.
    Yeah, no problem