Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about visas and studying - person B was a New Zealander and person A is foreign

Default Question about visas and studying - person B was a New Zealander and person A is foreign

Hey, okay hypothetical situation here. So if person A was married to person B, and person B was a New Zealander and person A is foreign, and they lived together and ended up getting the partnership visa for person A, would person A then be able to pursue study in a New Zealand university doing a degree? And what fees would they have to pay to do that, would they pay international fees? I've asked this heaps and no one seems to know, I can't even find it on the immigration website. Thanks!

International fees are paid for non-residents. If you have permanent residence, you will pay resident fees at universities in New Zealand.

To find the fees for the university, go to the site of the university you want to attend. For example, Auckland University fees are here http://www.auckland.ac.nz/uoa/cs-tui...ees-by-faculty

I see, but more importantly, can the partner of a new zealand resident/citizen study in new zealand on a partnership visa?

I assume it will be a residency visa based on partnership - so then yes, the partner can study as long as they are a resident of NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Gogo View Post
    I see, but more importantly, can the partner of a new zealand resident/citizen study in new zealand on a partnership visa?
    If you are here as a permanent resident, then you are paying domestic fees. How you got that residency (skills visa, partnership visa) doesn't matter.

Daniela

Yes, but a person who has the partnership visa is not immediately a resident, they have to be here for a certain time for that. They are just on a partnership visa which is not residency. So can they study and work on that? Thanks.

From what I know about the partnership visa is that it is only given for a period of two years so that the partner can live in New Zealand for two years or so, after a certain time which from memory is two years they can then apply for residency. So I want to know if in that period of time, when they aren't a resident if they can work and study and what they are entitled to, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gogo View Post
    Yes, but a person who has the partnership visa is not immediately a resident, they have to be here for a certain time for that. They are just on a partnership visa which is not residency. So can they study and work on that? Thanks.
    If you arrive here on a partnership visa, you are a resident as soon as you live here. Your residency is permanent, i.e. there are no restrictions on the time you can stay here.

Daniela

There is no such thing as 'a partnership visa'.

There is a partner-sponsored work visa, which is this one. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm (See the top section.)

Then there is Residence under the Family Stream, supported by your partner. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...er/default.htm

Someone who gets the partner-sponsored work visa is entitled to work in NZ, at any job. This visa does not give the right to be considered as a domestic student in NZ. Once the person has stacked up 12 months' proof of partnership, that is, living together, they can apply for Residence (the second kind of visa mentioned). The work visas are not necessarily for two years. And you can apply for Residence as soon as you qualify, not having to wait for the end of the first visa.

Someone who gets Residence via the Family Stream is on the same terms as any other Resident, and can work, study, run a business, etc.. As a student, they would be liable for domestic fees, but would not be eligible for student loans until they had been Resident for two years.

Well, let me attempt to explain this complicated situation a bit further. So I have this guy that I'm in a relationship with, for twoish years but my guy lives in america and is willing to move here for me (woot!). However the system is impossible apparently, it's just impossible for him just to move here because we haven't met (we webcam every day!). I can't afford to go meet him, but he's saving to come here, I've been trying to figure out how the hell to actually get him over here and keep him over here because I'm happy with my career and don't want to move to the states, and he wants to study so I thought maybe he could do that here. I thought maybe we could get him over on a work visa and we could live together for a year and then apply for a partnership visa, however, he needs to be able to work and he also wants to study at some point, so I was looking into all that for him too.

From what I can see we can get him over on the work visa and then apply for a partnership visa but I'm not sure about the restrictions on that one, and it's just not going to work if he isn't able to make a living, and obviously he doesn't want to wait a million years to study. Anyways, yeah. They don't make it easier for people to be together with their partners these days do they? lol.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast