Thread: Engineer - which category?

Default Engineer - which category?

Been looking at skills shortage list as hubby is an engineer.

He currently maintains 'plant', this also incorporates electrical work. He also does portable appliance testing (PAT), generator testing etc.
    He doesn't however, have a degree in any of his engineering experience.

He has worked within the same types of engineering, plus diesel engineering/maintenance eg. of agricultural machinery etc since he left school at 16 (did an apprenticeship). He is now 49. He does have 'TEC' 1-3 qualifications in mechanical engineering (gained alongside apprenticeship).Also has qualified in electrical engineering -City & Guilds & NVQ - electrical installation engineering/inspection/testing/ etc.

My questions are: where to look on LTSSL,( indeed if 'he's' on there!) & whether lack of degree matters and that he therefore can't claim points?

We could put in EOIwith my quals. etc but gain more points due to his many years of work experience (providing he's on LTSSL etc)

Sorry long winded post!
    thanks in advance if anyone can help - I did do a search with no luck!

I did a search here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/templ...=Guest&level=1 for 'Engineer'.

Hi Rosejewel,

Which engineering field does your husbands qualifications cover (electrical or mechanical)? To be considered an "engineer" out side of the UK you must have a degree. I would think that with your husbands experience & quals he is looking at a level 3 ANZCO trade classification, you can find the list online then match your work to the relevant code. Having 10 years plus work experience will get points, just look at the EOI point calculator and be honest -it's what we did.

Sorry it's not a positive reply, but best to be honest.

Thanks JandM, I did look there - very extensive list!
    The_Oakeys - Hubby's quals. cover electrical & mechanical - that's why it's difficult to know which code to look at.

Yes, it seems that all the 'engineers' on LTSSL require a degree.
    I did find stuff on the NZQA site about apprenticeships - he has an 'indentured' apprenticeship aligned with his TEC quals. (TEC is listed on NZQA as exempt, I think) the apprenticeship is an 'inhouse' one ie from the company he was with when he did it.

I'll have to delve further! I'll look at ANZCO and codes too. On a plus, his experience would at least gain him 30 points, providing I can work out what category to put him in!
    He could look at elecrtical engineer, but that would have the proviso of needing to register in NZ.
    So confusing trying to work out what to do for when we put in EOI!

If/ when I register with the Midwifery council, I could at least job hunt so that would be another possibility - provided I got offered a job of course! Would mean points would go up.

Once again, thanks to you both for your help/suggestions.

Good luck, the hard work researching is worth the effort.