Thread: Singapore Airlines or Qantas?

Default Singapore Airlines or Qantas?

Would you pay an extra couple of hundred pounds to fly with Singapore Airlines rather than Qantas? Flight times not so good with Singapore but in the grand scheme of things, that's probably academic. Bearing in mind we have a 5 and a 2 year old. Any thoughts?

I hear people generally enjoy their transit via Singapore, especially as its one of the best tourist destination.

if it's a difference of a few hours I vote Singapore: perhaps the best airline in the world, even in economy class. QANTAS isn't bad either. If you give flight numbers and dates I can take a look at the planes and suggest good and bad seats.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

From a customer service point of view, Singapore would probably win hands down. I've not flown long haul with them, but they are constantly commended for their service. Singapore Airport is a great airport to transit through and even has a swimming pool (I believe)!

I flew Qantas from AKL-LAX last year. It wasn't bad at all. I liked the fact that their menu cards gave you a timeline of what service you could expect and when during the flight. The crew were fine, food OK. Travelling economy is generally much of a muchness.

The ability to pick your seats may depend if you have a status level on the airline's frequent flier programme as not all airlines allow automatic seat reservations for free to everyone (payment may be an option). But if you want to check seats, Seat Guru is a good starting point - but you do need to know what aircraft type you're travelling on (usually easily found online through the booking process).

Would deffo fly SA rather than Qantas, had very bad experience with them last long haul, poor customer service, poor food and left our bags in Sydney, not an unusual occurrence according to staff at CHCH airport

Quote Originally Posted by RejjieM View Post
    Would you pay an extra couple of hundred pounds to fly with Singapore Airlines rather than Qantas? Flight times not so good with Singapore but in the grand scheme of things, that's probably academic. Bearing in mind we have a 5 and a 2 year old. Any thoughts?
    We had a similar scenario. Knowing we would be on the SA Airbus 380 we paid the extra and didn't regret it one bit. We were travelling with our 16 month old who we bought a seat for as well. Don't know if we got lucky but the airbus wasn't that full either so we got to stretch out. Also transit at Singapore airport a pleasure......

We justified it by dividing the extra cost by the number of hours travelling.... Worked out as a small price per parent per hour for sanity and comfort.....

Plus if you have permanent residency visa Singapore airlines give a 40kg per person baggage allowance...... Qantas do not.....

Agree with Singapore Airlines customer service comments. We flew here with Singapore Airlines, Airbus A380 London to Singapore, and Boeing 777er Singapore to Auckland. To be honest we didn't find the seats that comfortable on either flight, the transit at Changi was a good experience. In a perfect world it would be a Emirates seating comfort with Singapore Airlines service.

Many thanks for all your comments. I think we're going to go with SA - hubby flew out with them in February and was very happy with them Just got to check the shippers can fit us and and we're ready to book

We used Air NZ to fly here but I flew from NZ to Jakarta via Singapore with Singapore Airlines and the airport is amazing, you can take your children on the train thing around the airport and go to the butterfly garden which is lovely.