Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High cholesterol and abnormal liver function test

Default High cholesterol and abnormal liver function test

Hi,

My husband did a test and he has a high cholesterol and and the result of the liver function test is abnormal. He did a re-test but still the same. He is currently applying for a Silver Fern Visa. Is this will affect his application?

Another question is his doctor just recommend to have proper exercise and diet. Anyone who has the same experience with my husband?

I think you still have 2 months to apply, so your husband can exercise and make an intensive diet for the coming month and half and definitely the cholestrol will be decreased from his body. For the time being, i am doing diet as i found a bit high in my cholestrol rate after i did a simple blod test for the lipids, so i decided to do diet to meet the requirements.

Hi,

Doctor also recommend him to take threadmill ecg and ultrasound liver test for further examination. Does he need to lower his cholesterol before our visa will be approved?
    Last edited by nibornad; 5th June 2012 at 08:03 PM.

Only the MA can state that. It might depend on how far outside the norms it was when first tested, and whether they will see it is improving after the next lot of tests, but that's just a lay person's guess.

The point of the medical as far as the MA is concerned is to check whether existing conditions in the applicant are likely to need treatment from the NZ Health Service that will cost $25000 or more.

I don't know what the Medical requires in relation to test results but I'd imagine a lot will depend on how high his Cholesterol is, how bad the LFT is etc. First thing he needs to do is change diet, cut out alcohol if he drinks and get out there walking etc. No point in putting it off. I'd guess that if he can be seen to be improving it can only help? He's had these results and needs to act on them anyway. If he hasn't been put on medication, that would suggest that his cholesterol isn't too high and should come down fairly easy with dietary changes Though men and their diets don't change easily

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Is it advisable to take lipitor to lower the cholesterol?

If you take drugs to lower the cholesterol you have to declare it in the medical, which, depending on the long term cost, may be detrimental to your application. Best to lower it naturally through diet and exercise (if possible).

Hi,

I have read a post here who have taken Lipitor to lower his cholesterol.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo View Post
    If you take drugs to lower the cholesterol you have to declare it in the medical, which, depending on the long term cost, may be detrimental to your application. Best to lower it naturally through diet and exercise (if possible).

Quote Originally Posted by nibornad View Post
    Hi,

I have read a post here who have taken Lipitor to lower his cholesterol.
    First, I'm under the impression Lipitor takes time to work, certainly more than a month.

Second, each case is accessed on an individual basis.

Finally, I wouldn't want to be tied to drugs to manage my cholesterol unless absolutely neccesary, in that I couldn't lower it through diet and exercise (and most reasonable doctors will ask you to try the same first).

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Only the MA can state that. It might depend on how far outside the norms it was when first tested, and whether they will see it is improving after the next lot of tests, but that's just a lay person's guess.

The point of the medical as far as the MA is concerned is to check whether existing conditions in the applicant are likely to need treatment from the NZ Health Service that will cost $25000 or more.
    But why they will reffer it to MA, as long as it is just a Silver fern job search visa? it is not a PR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast