Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: I don't understand

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK - Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    189

    Default I don't understand

    Can someone please explain the curiously Kiwi concept of wearing a thick winter coat and then shorts and no shoes?

    Are you hot or cold - you can`t be both!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California to Tasman Bay
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
    Can someone please explain the curiously Kiwi concept of wearing a thick winter coat and then shorts and no shoes?

    Are you hot or cold - you can`t be both!!


    My husband says, "That's how we roll. We're just hard." And then he attempted to explain that it's not that cold and shorts are more comfortable. He says it means less clothes to get wet. He thinks it comes from farmers, fishermen, digger drivers, etc that wear overalls. Shorts are more convenient so that when you take them on and off it's easier.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK - Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    189

    Default

    That sounds like such a bloke`s answer !

    Who cares about being hard - I`d rather be warm...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    San Francisco to Auckland
    Posts
    626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post


    My husband says, "That's how we roll. We're just hard." And then he attempted to explain that it's not that cold and shorts are more comfortable. He says it means less clothes to get wet. He thinks it comes from farmers, fishermen, digger drivers, etc that wear overalls. Shorts are more convenient so that when you take them on and off it's easier.
    Kiwieagle, your husband is one tough kiwi. I think my husband has gotten soft since living in the states.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK to USA to Waikato, NZ
    Posts
    1,380

    Default

    I was having this conversation over tea this am with another expat!
    I think that the kiwis are either impervious to the cold (hence the lack of heating and double glazing in their 'sheds' aka houses) or they are just tougher then we are!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NZ (Auckland; via Canada)
    Posts
    1,321

    Default

    If they have nice legs, we all win.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North Canterbury, New Zealand
    Posts
    862

    Default

    The answer is simple. The 'hard' kiwis all stay at home in front of the fire as soon as it actually gets cold. A few inches of snow and everything grinds to a halt!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK - Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jawnbc View Post
    If they have nice legs, we all win.
    Every cloud etc etc...!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Howick, Auckland
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    The answer is simple. The 'hard' kiwis all stay at home in front of the fire as soon as it actually gets cold. A few inches of snow and everything grinds to a halt!
    You could say that about the winters in the UK- smallest amount of snow causes panic!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Scotland - rural England
    Posts
    863

    Default

    All the posties in Derby are currently ambling around in shorts, trainers and big padded raincoats. It's June, 12 degrees, hacking it with rain and blowing a hoolie. Welcome to summer in the UK......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •