Thread: Maternity leave

Default Maternity leave

Hi all,

Planning ahead somewhat here but I like to have a good understanding of things well in advance.
    We are moving in October and then when we are settled and have jobs and a home we hope to start a family. I have had a look but I didn't really understand how maternity leave entitlement works in NZ.

In the UK I believe you qualify for maternity leave as long as you have been working somewhere for 10 months before you go on leave - so as to prevent people who are already pregnant taking a job and then taking maternity leave. Is it a similar system in NZ?

Also how does it work in terms of how much you are paid - is there a basic government paid rate and then employers can choose to offer more generous packages? If so does anyone know what the civil service is like?

Thanks
    x

Quote Originally Posted by Lauralocks View Post
    Hi all,

In the UK I believe you qualify for maternity leave as long as you have been working somewhere for 10 months before you go on leave - so as to prevent people who are already pregnant taking a job and then taking maternity leave. Is it a similar system in NZ? x
    No quite true. To get SMP in UK you need to have been working in the same job for 41 weeks by the babies due date (the actual qualifying date is 26 weeks in the job by 15 weeks before due date, which is effectively the same thing). What this means in real terms is is that you can get pregnant 3 week after starting a job and qualify, bearing in mind pregnancy is 38 weeks duration but rounded to 40 for calculating purposes. If you can't get SMP (due to changing jobs for example) you still get MA benefit for the same length of time, and if you don't qualify for MA because you haven't earnt enough or worked enough weeks during pregnancy, you can claim incapacity benefit for a number of weeks instead.

Anyway, no idea about NZ entitlement apart from hearing people complain about it not being so generous. I'm sure someone will fill you in though.

But it is way more generous then what we get in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwihusker View Post
    But it is way more generous then what we get in the states.
    And surprisingly more generous to what I got in France!!!!

You need to have worked at least 10 hours per week for the 6 months prior to taking leave. The dol site linked above should have all the details on how much and specific entitlements. That 6-12 months of work entitles you to the 14 weeks of pay as well as up to 26 weeks (total remaining after 14 paid) unpaid leave. I'm not sure on the under 6 months amount of weeks, though I'm seemingly (mis?)remembering 6 paid weeks or so with no unpaid entitlement. If you've worked in the job 12+ months you are eligible for up to 52 weeks (after the 14 paid) of unpaid leave.
    The 14 paid weeks are a flat rate of either your weekly salary OR $458/week, whichever is less. Employers can certainly offer more leave. I get 6 weeks full pay from my employer (and then I can take the 14 weeks paid by the IRD).

I don't know the specifics of the NZ, but, I know my wife researched between Canada and New Zealand and in NZ wasn't as good as the 52 weeks of government paid paternal leave you got here in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo View Post
    I don't know the specifics of the NZ, but, I know my wife researched between Canada and New Zealand and in NZ wasn't as good as the 52 weeks of government paid paternal leave you got here in Canada.
    My wife in NZ too found it hard to believe how good maternity leave was in Canada. Who would believe 52 weeks paid maternity leave in any country?

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    My wife in NZ too found it hard to believe how good maternity leave was in Canada. Who would believe 52 weeks paid maternity leave in any country?
    I believe the Scandinavian countries are extremely generous - although I don't know how much of it is paid. I also had a friend in France who said you can take up to 5 years' maternity leave there (although I imagine not all of it is paid).

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    You can take up to three years off in Germany, 12-14 of those paid (some money, not sure how much, called 'parental money'), the rest unpaid.

Daniela