Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Shipping and WOF woes

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    The requirements for 1st registering an imported vehicle into NZ is entirely different to a WOF (and thus to a MOT). Most of the details in the registration process deal with inspection of the vehicle with nearly a magnifying glass. For eg. the plastic covers for your headlights and signal indicators have markings on them to conform with international standards. Likewise with the rubber tires and seat belts.

Rust is a major issue. Since virtually all cars made in the past 20 years have gone to a monocoque / unibody construction vs a body on chassis design. This means that the rust on the car is 'structural'.
    Confirmed, ours was rejected as "it passed over the border" thus Customs, rather than by the AA compliance. It is now with a sandblaster and will then be treated for rust (against) I guess Waxoyl. Yes it is increased cost, however still worth it I think.

I've just spoken to a local garage here, recommended by our usual mechanic, who has quoted 75-80 to have the underneath of our car steam cleaned, sandblasted and treated with waxoil. Do you think this sounds reasonable? I have NO idea about this sort of thing ... (Don't even know if I'm using the correct terminology!)

I would make sure that your proposed solution is acceptable to the testers. We had a similar experience with our car, never any mention of rust on the MOT but when it got to NZ it had to be sandblasted, undersealed AND all the rear seatbelt mounting point cut out and rewelded. About $5000 as far as I recall and a rather shoddy job too, so be warned!

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    I would make sure that your proposed solution is acceptable to the testers. We had a similar experience with our car, never any mention of rust on the MOT but when it got to NZ it had to be sandblasted, undersealed AND all the rear seatbelt mounting point cut out and rewelded. About $5000 as far as I recall and a rather shoddy job too, so be warned!
    Ouch!! We are planning to ship our car, quite old at year 2000, good condition but does have the usual surface rust underneath from the grit on the roads. I emailed the very helpful Rene from the AA (AATechnicalServices@aa.co.nz) asking if it's a good idea for me to get it cleaned & sprayed with underbody sealer here in the UK before we ship, & he confirmed if we cover the underbody in anyway, it will definitely flag up as needing repair as the testers probably wonder what it may be hiding so may want it removed again so they can see clearly, and then reapplied with their own product so could in effect add to the bill not decrease it. I am going to ask him though if that includes 'Waxoil' too as I'm guessing that's a clear product the testers will be bale to see through? I'll let you all know what he says..
    Cheers,
    Lawrence

Just wrapped up--nearly--the same process for a motorcycle from Canada. We ensured the bike had no rust or dirt before handing it over to the removallists. The MAF bit was uneventful; then it was off to get it certified and adjusted for NZ roads. That wasn't too bad either: one wire had to be replaced on a headlight, so all up it was NZ$300 and a bit. When OH arrives for Christmas he can get its plates since I can't register the bike on his behalf (he needs to sign for it).

I imagine importing a motorcycle is MUCH simpler than a car. Most of the contentious issues simply don't arise.

I think you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    I imagine importing a motorcycle is MUCH simpler than a car. Most of the contentious issues simply don't arise.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence&Cj View Post
    Ouch!! We are planning to ship our car, quite old at year 2000, good condition but does have the usual surface rust underneath from the grit on the roads. I emailed the very helpful Rene from the AA (AATechnicalServices@aa.co.nz) asking if it's a good idea for me to get it cleaned & sprayed with underbody sealer here in the UK before we ship, & he confirmed if we cover the underbody in anyway, it will definitely flag up as needing repair as the testers probably wonder what it may be hiding so may want it removed again so they can see clearly, and then reapplied with their own product so could in effect add to the bill not decrease it. I am going to ask him though if that includes 'Waxoil' too as I'm guessing that's a clear product the testers will be bale to see through? I'll let you all know what he says..
    Cheers,
    Lawrence
    Hi Lawrence,

Any feedback from the AA re Waxoil prior to shipment?

I,m looking to bring a window van over (VW Transporter) and am now concerned that 'ANY' surface rust underneath or anywhere else might be a problem. I have a little seem along the side sliding door at the bottom that needs sorting and treating and even though wouldnt be a UK MOT issue, I guess the MAF might not see it as acceptable. Again I rekon any issues of my 55reg are down to water & salt corrosion. Wonder if its any better an environment for cars in NZ (Christchurch in particular) as it still rains there!!!?

Let me know if you find out.

Cheers,
    Justin.

Rust is not a problem with MAF; they are only interested in organic matter. It may be a problem for getting the car through certification as they are rather funny about it. It does still rain here in Chch but not very much, only about 600mm per year and they don't salt the roads so rust really is not an issue.

I've been reading these with interest as am thinking about bringing over a classic ute from the US. This seems like a perpetual and ever changing problem. So might be worth starting up the conversation again (last post was 3 years back)
    Lets say, hypothetically, I have a 1965 Chevy V6 ute. Not a unibody. It's been used as a work truck and the paint job is not pretty. There is a rust spot or two on the hood / body panels and what looks like a couple bullet holes through the side walls of the bed and the door (hey, it's red neck country). I intend to restore it and fix up the paint job anyway.
    Would I be best off to
    a) leave it behind . . . too much hastle
    b) have the works sand blasted before shipping and let someone on the NZ side fix what they deem critical, then do a paint job
    c) something else

Say also that the ute's value in NZ is something like $10k NZ higher than its value in the US.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast