Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building your own computer

Question Building your own computer

Anyone else on here who likes to build their own computers? Where do you order the components from in New Zealand? Can you suggest good local suppliers or good places you use outside of New Zealand? Thanks.

I Have never built my own computer but have got a few bits from here

http://www.ascent.co.nz/category.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline and Dave View Post
    ...never built my own computer...
    Nor me, but these people have stores around Auckland and prices are OK. Just purchased a new machine from them as I wanted to see the thing before buying it.

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/

Still buy stuff online from the UK and USA versions of Amazon when possible.

Yeah the http://www.pbtech.co.nz/ is fine, not the cheapest but reliable and they have stuff in stock - you can get some crazy cheap stuff from Amazon sometimes (like 128GB superfast 550MB/s write SSD drive for $99 last week) and then use http://shipito.co.nz/ for forwarding from US to NZ.

In the early years say 15+ years ago, I use buy all I could get computer parts from Canada and taken them to NZ. All given as gifts to my relatives or at the time, the same items were unavailable or horribly expensive (especially SCSI gear).

Nowadays, there simply isn't enough price difference to bother when you factor the cost of overseas shipping and GST. There are some good deals to be had on places like Amazon or Newegg but then again, not enough to make me jump up and down to go buy.

What I do enjoy while in NZ is buying 2nd hand computer parts off TradeMe - shipping within NZ is reasonably cheap and the items that are available are not bothered to be listed on eBay for the N. American market.

We use PB Tech, they give a discount if you ask nicely and will build it for a $60 an hour. A colleague chose his components at lunchtime and picked it up that evening, cost $90 labour for a build from scratch. We get stuff for work there as well.

Simon

PBTech is great if you know your pricing and can buy when the items you need are on sale, but, otherwise can be overpriced.
    Last edited by G-Mo; 13th June 2012 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doreysc View Post
    We use PB Tech, they give a discount if you ask nicely and will build it for a $60 an hour. A colleague chose his components at lunchtime and picked it up that evening, cost $90 labour for a build from scratch. We get stuff for work there as well.

Simon
    Their labour prices are low because, last time I checked, their staff are not CompTIA certified. As a certified tech (CompTIA, ACMT, ACSP), this bothers me. I don't want to appear like I am s**ting on PBTech, I have used them in NZ before and will again, but, be smart when dealing with them.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. Very helpful.

G-Mo, hope you don't mind me throwing an add on question to you.

I'm going to be building a computer soon, preferably whispering quiet. I'll be putting in an Intel i5 2500K and won't be overclocking. Do you happen to know if I can get it really quiet without buying a CPU cooler? I'd prefer not to add a CPU cooler unless it's totally necessary for v.quiet operation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast