Thread: Teacher advice needed!

Default Teacher advice needed!

Hi guys, I hope you can help. I completed my teacher training through a SCITT in the South West. I have now been informed that this may not be accepted in NZ for assessment/registration purposes. Obviously this would be of great disappointment for me! I have a PGCE after completing a Business (Hons) degree and I am currently half way through a MEd. I have been teaching for 2 years and therefore completed my NQT.

If anyone could shed some light on this it would be appreciated as I haven't found any literature stating what exactly does and doesn't qualify. I am a bit confused as I didn't complete a GTP, I completed an academic qualification with my QTS.

I hope some one can help!

Probably the most authoritative answer you could get would be from the NZTC. http://www.teacherscouncil.govt.nz/contact.stm I hear they're very human and helpful.

Thanks JandM I've just emailed them!

The only thing I'll add is: they are helpful, BUT sometimes they are not as clear as they could be in explaining what they want / have decided. I sent lots of emails back and forth asking (politely) for clarification- don't be afraid to do this...

Ta,

Eliot

Hi, Delta,

Guess you're a teacher so? I can get work short term via the LAT scheme as I don't have NZQA done yet. along with police clearance is there much more docs that you required?
    also what is CO Assigned in your list above?
    ta
    beadyeyes

I can get work short term via the LAT scheme
    Are you sure about that?

The Council will not grant an authority to any person who is already eligible for registration; they would need to go through the normal registration process.
    http://www.teacherscouncil.govt.nz/prof/lat.stm

And
    19. A person is NOT eligible to apply for a LAT if any of the following apply:
    • s/he is to fulfil a role not defined as a teaching position
    • the position is sole charge
    • s/he is a registered teacher or has approved teaching qualifications
    • s/he holds a practising certificate or is eligible to hold one
    • registration is not compulsory for that position.
    p. 63 here http://www.teacherscouncil.govt.nz/r...olicy_2012.pdf

I'm not saying this to be wanting to be a wet blanket, but from what you've said, you may be burning some boats already in setting out for NZ, and I'm sure you don't want to find more hurdles in your way than you're prepared for.