Thread: Tax advice for dummies please??

Default Tax advice for dummies please??

Hi All. Hopefully this has not been done to death (i did a search a couldn't find anything), but i could do with a bit of advice for a tax dummy. Could anyone please give me a basic rundown of what i have to do at both UK and NZ ends with regards to tax when we make the move out there (still hoping for mid Aug). I have picked up from reading a couple of other posts that we can claim our PAYE tax back (how??), and also that we have to let the inland revenue and national insurance know (do we just write them a letter??).
    Also, what do we have to do to get set up in NZ with regards to tax?
    With regards to money in general, so far all we've done is set up a bank account (Westpac), and set up a couple of currency exchange accounts.
    Any other general finance/money tips?
    Thanks in advance

Hi All. Hopefully this has not been done to death (i did a search a couldn't find anything), but i could do with a bit of advice for a tax dummy. Could anyone please give me a basic rundown of what i have to do at both UK and NZ ends with regards to tax when we make the move out there (still hoping for mid Aug). I have picked up from reading a couple of other posts that we can claim our PAYE tax back (how??), and also that we have to let the inland revenue and national insurance know (do we just write them a letter??).
    Also, what do we have to do to get set up in NZ with regards to tax?
    With regards to money in general, so far all we've done is set up a bank account (Westpac), and set up a couple of currency exchange accounts.
    Any other general finance/money tips?
    Thanks in advance

Claim UK PAYE Tax - Fill up Form P85 & P45 and submit to Inland Revenue (I think their Glocester office processes this)

Set up NZ tax is quite simple - Fill up IRD form and submit it at nearest post office in NZ or AA center, all details are on that link.

About the UK tax end, this may be helpful. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/tax-leave-uk.htm If there are things you don't understand, try phoning their helpline - these days, they are very often extremely helpful.

As above, please also double check as I understand it, new residents to NZ may be eligible for 4 years tax exemption see link below: http://www.ird.govt.nz/international.../#temptaxexemp

That's great.

Thanks

Hi All
    I've now got the tax situation squared away thanks to your help. Do i need to do anything ref. national insurance? I've seen 'national insurance' listed on one of the checklists of things to do before we go, but i don't know exactly what i'm supposed to be doing about it?!?
    Thanks
    Paul