Thread: How does the pool selection work for those under 140 points?

Default How does the pool selection work for those under 140 points?

Hi all (again )

Just a quick query. Now that our points have been downgraded, I am anxious to know where we stand. We currently have 130 points and they have not recognised our work experience in a shortage skill area by virtue of us having to have our qualifications assessed. However, I did see that some applications with 130 points were selected but they were given bonus points for their work experience in an absolute skill shortage area? How does all that work. Because we have had our bonus points taken away, do we fall below 'normal' applications with 130 points? By normal, I mean those with 130 but are able to claim their work experience in an area of skill shortage? Our work experience is in the tertiary sector of education.

Also, as hubby is the principal applicant, I am getting MY qualifications assessed for two reasons:
    It is going to be difficult to find relevant info for hubbies qualification as his University had a name change and they no longer have curriculum info under the old name. I studied at the new Uni (the old one but with the new name ) so can present all relevant info. Also, if I get mine done, I can register as a teacher and try the work permit route too.
    IF, my masters degree is recognised at a level 9 as per NZQA assessment, then we are back on track for the shortage skilled route as lecturers. So my big question is: will we be able to change who the principal applicant is once the EOI is in the pool? All of this for a darn name change with the University due to political reasons in RSA

Once again, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

God bless

So my big question is: will we be able to change who the principal applicant is once the EOI is in the pool?
    No. There is no such thing as a joint application - one partner is the applicant and the other is the secondary, who gets in practically on the nod as long as the main applicant does. It makes no difference if the secondary happens to be the world authority on x, and gets a job offer worth millions while the partner hasn't had any luck yet - they're still the secondary, and would have to start a new application of their own.

There is a page on the INZ website about 'SMC selection criteria' which tells you how they work down through the EOIs, and somewhere on the threads, I've done a fictional example involving a draw when they had enough places to take people from all the bands - does anyone remember where that is, please?

Awesome. Thank you. That makes sense Will probably put in my own application then if my NZQA comes back favourable. Will google your other thread. Thank you for taking the time to reply. It is really appreciated