Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horrible Weather?

Question Horrible Weather?

How's your NZ winter weather so far? I'm guessing better than summer here so far. Rain, gray skies, cold, windy and more rain and more cold, then more wind, more gray skies and more cold winds. And, please, puuleeeease spare us just for once stuff about cold houses. I know it, you know it, everybloody one who reads this forum knows it and we need to hear it again like we need to get holes drilled in our heads. It's booooooring. Just let's hear about the weather for once, and how you people in NZ are enjoying your winter outdoors, or not.

Here down in rural North Canterbury we had a pretty good Autumn but Winter arrived with vengeance 2 weeks ago. 18 cms of snow that hung around for 7 days and temps down to -8, some sunny days in there also up to 8 - 9 but cold winds, then a period of cold sleety/rain showers. Today woken up to harsh frost but wall to wall sunshine so will be hitting the golf course a bit later than normal

Here's the thing- when it gets down below 0 C overnight, and you have no insulation, it's the inside of the house that you feel rather than the outside.

Today- morning frost, sunny, and currently 3. Haven't ventured out of the house yet.

This is a really good site for weather if you're interested in checking on a particular location: http://www.metservice.com/

Quote Originally Posted by benandclare View Post
    Here down in rural North Canterbury we had a pretty good Autumn but Winter arrived with vengeance 2 weeks ago. 18 cms of snow that hung around for 7 days and temps down to -8, some sunny days in there also up to 8 - 9 but cold winds, then a period of cold sleety/rain showers. Today woken up to harsh frost but wall to wall sunshine so will be hitting the golf course a bit later than normal
    Shiver me blinkin' timbers, I didn't think it got that cold in New Zealand. Is that -8 C something you'll see during the day or is it in the middle of the night?

The coldest part is just before dawn normally, now up to 5 and snow capped mountains are looking gorgeous in the sunlight.
    If we get a High sitting on us in Winter you can have a cold frosty start and be up 12-14 by Noon.
    Our skiing season down here can be 5 months long

Quote Originally Posted by PorkChop View Post
    Shiver me blinkin' timbers, I didn't think it got that cold in New Zealand. Is that -8 C something you'll see during the day or is it in the middle of the night?
    AFAIK -20C is the record in NZ, at night; and +40C onthe other side; that's Central Otago.

Pretty good. Wet last few days but sunny most days, has been down to -1 and average daytime about 12 degrees.
    But sitting in the warm, insulated, double glazed houses you just don't feel it!!!!!!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Pretty soggy in Welly at the moment. Been a bit crap during the week but weekends have tended to be OK, which is not something I would have said very often in the UK summer, let alone winter! But I'm looking forward to hitting the slopes a couple of times this winter. Didn't go at all last winter - the season seemed really short so never really got the chance, but made sure of it this year. Going up to Ruapehu at the end of July and then Mt Hutt mid-August to compare North vs South Island snow (plus the second trip gives us the excuse to see Benandclare )

This year (on the Kapiti Coast) we had some very cold patches over the last month, and then some warm patches. It very much depends on which way the wind is blowing (southerlies are quite cold, and are often noted in the Dom Post or on Stuff because they cause such a ruckus). Keep in mind that the prevailing wind is a northerly (in the Wellington region), and this brings warmer temperatures. As far as wet goes, I dunno, I lived in Portland, Oregon for a long time, where October to June averaged one sunny day a month. After that everything has felt very sunny to me! But yes, we have had some fantastic weekend weather, too good to stay home with a fire in the fireplace, just had to get myself and the dog out to the beach to enjoy it. I sat outside in a sunny patch and had a pie for my lunch today, not wearing a coat at all, so I still say the winter weather here is quite mild.

TBH, I just care a damn about weather which actually has helped to overcome bad mood swings! When its raining, we enjoy hot snacks with some good tea and when its warm have a cold drink. Activities wise, we just go for long drives even if it rains and have our favorite drinks & snacks during short breaks.

Cold winter just gives another opportunity for us to snuggle like puppies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast