Thread: EOI expired, so not moving

Thumbs down EOI expired, so not moving

Hello all,

I thought I'd take a moment and tell you about how the process failed here, and what you can do to learn about it and avoid some heartache.

Like many people, we went through the normal channels. We thought we had the points, or we would have never applied. We applied, and got denied points taking us down to a line below what is needed; 125. We thought we were a shoe-in because both me and my wife are 10+ years experienced in careers that are "immediate need", yet we did not receive credit since in my case the college degree I earned in business 12 years ago wasn't the correct one, and the wife isn't a CPA. When we went through the rules very carefully, it was "3 years AND a college degree in the field", not "or".

Oh, and in calling in to ask about our points being knocked back, we were told in fact we were cleared. For a week, it was real, and then the rejection letter showed up in the post. Rather unbelievable.

Rules being what they are, the rigid nature of the application process has made two college-educated, relatively affluent people ineligible without already having a job. So, I went about trying to find a job. I got as far as a second interview, and didn't get the gig. 6 months of trying rather hard to land a job was met with rejection after rejection as you might expect for someone who lived out of the country and didn't have the right to work.

So, that's a bit of venting, and should any New Zealand policymaker read this, please understand that you were all very friendly in the process of upholding an overly-rigid, inflexible system. Here's what we learned if you want to move to New Zealand:

• First, if you don't have the 140 points, and you're not getting in now, you probably won't get in.
    • If you're under 140, you get in if you get a job. Unless you are a TRADE in demand, don't bother trying from anywhere not called Australia.
    • Be prepared to enter on what's called a "reconnaissance" trip. You must illegally move to New Zealand to find a job, or take a long enough holiday that you can job-hunt, which appears to be "somewhat" legal.
    • Going about entry under any other method is likely a waste of time.

I don't feel as if our effort was a waste of time. I do however feel as though the system, as designed, conspired against what New Zealand was advertising for - a need for educated, young(er), experienced people willing to spend their prime years there. In the end, we were held out of New Zealand because my college degree was not a match with my career of over a decade. I'm 36; what my major was doesn't have much to do with I.T. And for what it's worth, John Key, like him or not... advertises on his website that his key to understanding world finance was from his days as a broker. The irony is thick enough to hurt.

If you're thinking of going through this, be prepared to consider that playing "nice" isn't going to get you anywhere. Without points, you have to commit a lot. We were not willing to commit to a move without employment upon landing, and I really thought that was feasible until I tried. I hope New Zealand changes its policy to one similar to Australia and others where 3 years + degree can also be 7 years + certification or some sort of industry litmus test. New Zealand is missing the mark by filtering the wrong crowd.

I hope this wasn't too negative, and hopefully it helps. No blue bananas for us; we'll revisit the concept in a year or two... maybe. Good luck all.

Sorry to hear you've had a rough ride, and thanks for sharing.

There are plenty of people who get in without a job offer and under 140 points, many on here.

Additionally, Australians don't need a visa.

Hi matchavez

I know how you feel. Hubby and I have 8 degrees between us, and over 10 years experience in an area of long term skill shortage. We would love to emigrate to NZ and apply our skills to a country that would actually appreciated what skilled labour is. Sadly, a technical glitch from NZQA's side has had our emigration administrator deduct 30 points from our original application of 160 down to 130. Furthermore, our bonus points for work in an area of long term skilled shortage has been revoked even though we have the work experience in the tertiary sector which is a comparable labour market. All because of a political issue in RSA in 2003 which saw three Universities merge into 1. The new, 'merged' Uni's degrees are given more points that the three previous Universities. So, even though the University sees all degrees as the same and as part of the one Uni, apparently NZQA doesn't.

We would still like to emigrate and appreciate that rules are rules and that the administrator checking our EOI application is bound by the rules, so we will have our qualifications assessed and re-try. We cannot afford an 'LSD' trip to secure work.

Good luck with your future endeavors

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

If you want it badly enough, don't give up and you will find a way. We lodged our EOI on the expecation of a job offer that never arrived, so I continued job hunting for the remainder of the EOI. I got nowhere. I then decided I wouldn't lodge a second EOI (and waste money) until I had a job offer in hand. Less than a month after our first EOI expired, I had a job offer and just 3.5 months after that we were in country. I just didn't give up. I wanted it enough.

Keep going.

But don't blame the system. It's the way it is for a reason. And I'm quite alright with it being stringent. Unlike the UK, where anyone and everyone seemed to be able to walk in and claims benefits.

I got a job offer after interviewing via Skype. I'm not in trades; I'm an academic. So that's point's not accurate. And there's lots of others who've done the same thing. Without my job offer I would have been at 145 points, drawn, been invited to apply, then put in a longish queue.

Am I fortunate? Yes. Did I ever feel entitled to move to NZ or that NZ would be honoured to have me? No.

This is my 3rd kick at the migration can (US to Canada, Canada to Australia and next Canada to New Zealand). On balance, this is the most open and transparent of the three. Were I trying to go the other way, there's not even any skilled migrant immigration system TO the US.

Perhaps it's not meant to be. Perhaps you can try some of the other suggestions proffered here. There's risks involved.

You're clearly disappointed, which is understandable. But if this aspect of NZ society makes little sense to you, how happy would you be living there? It seems like Americans find the transition more difficult that some other anglophones.

Quote Originally Posted by jawnbc View Post
    I got a job offer after interviewing via Skype. I'm not in trades; I'm an academic. So that's point's not accurate. And there's lots of others who've done the same thing. Without my job offer I would have been at 145 points, drawn, been invited to apply, then put in a longish queue.

Am I fortunate? Yes. Did I ever feel entitled to move to NZ or that NZ would be honoured to have me? No.

This is my 3rd kick at the migration can (US to Canada, Canada to Australia and next Canada to New Zealand). On balance, this is the most open and transparent of the three. Were I trying to go the other way, there's not even any skilled migrant immigration system TO the US.

Perhaps it's not meant to be. Perhaps you can try some of the other suggestions proffered here. There's risks involved.

You're clearly disappointed, which is understandable. But if this aspect of NZ society makes little sense to you, how happy would you be living there? It seems like Americans find the transition more difficult that some other anglophones.
    Look, just to be clear, I don't feel entitled. I felt misled. I didn't feel like I was slighted for the jobs; I feel like no employer in their right mind would hire someone if they didn't have clearance to work.

The system is chicken-and-egg. It's no problem to get in if you can find a job, but you can't find a job very easily if you aren't allowed to work legally - at least not in professions. I'm not saying I deserved a job, but I'm sure that the effort I put in would have landed offers had I been there. The recruiting agencies, some kinder than others, were straightforward - we will get you something the day you land.

So I'm a little soured on the idea that I was sold on "we need you". They don't need you badly enough to let you in temporarily to find work. The system will work, and I agree, had I wanted it "badly enough" I could have made it happen. I did *not* want it badly enough, and I fully admit it. I see people come from Mexico and Latin America who travel over great distances and vast deserts for days - they want it badly. I am not one of those people. I was emigrating for a simpler life, and technically a slight downgrade for our mental peace and a stunning environment.

I know now what I have to do to get it done, and that is to get a job offer. It's clear as day, and I'll be networking with people in New Zealand to make that happen. But I won't be going about the process of trying to knock on the door. The process was "transparent", but it was rife with incorrect information, and a lack of clarity when I found us "stuck" in the process. There is no advantage to filing for an EOI, really. You just need to get a job offer, then the EOI is a cakewalk.

All in all, I'm not soured on the country, I don't feel entitled, just a little led on. Hopefully if someone reads this in advance of all their EOI stuff, they'll have some idea where their path might lead.