Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much points allocated to masters degree?

Default How much points allocated to masters degree?

Completely devastated!!! Submitted eoi with 140 points and was selected on 30 may 2012 draw. On the 12th june 2012 got reply that i could only be assigned 110 points instead of 140!!!
    Reason: i claimed 60 points for my masters degree which i obtained in the uk. I did not make an assessment for my degree as it is exempted from the list of nzqa international qualifications. *My masters was completed in 1 yr full time. Result: got only 50 points instead of 60 and was 10 points down. I had my masters degree *preceded by a bachelor degree. My masters degree is MSC BUILDING SERVICES ENGINEERING WITH SUSTAINALE ENERGY
    Did i made a mistake if not assessing my masters degree?

Secondly claimed 20 points for dependent who also has a masters degree from uk. As i did not mentioned my dependent bachelor degree in the eoi form they gave me 0 points for dependent. Thay said that masters degree should be preceded by bachelor degree. Also they said that i have not assessed my dependent masters degree so they cannot assign me the 20 points which i claimed. My dependent masters degree is MA EDUCATION fro UNIVERSITY OF BRIGHTON (UK). Dependent did masters via distant learning and aslo has a PGCE.*

Is it too late now for me to assess dependent + my qualifications?

Can anyone help!

Hi Hans

We are in the exact same boat. Hubby has 2 masters. His first, from a south african uni has, been downgraded to 50 from 60 because as it is part of a uni that has had a name change. Sadly, the uni with the newest name gets 60 points. He also has a masters's from Edinburgh. In fact we both do but because the duration was 1 year (we are assuming) we only get 50 points. We were trying to emigrate as Lecturers which is on the long term shortage skill list BUT we must have our master's at a level 9 (60 points). Because our master's are assessed at a level 8 (50 points) we also loose our bonus points for work experience in an area of shortage. Soooooo frustrating. We are going ahead with NZQA but I (the wife/dependent) will have my qualifications assessed as we cant source curriculum info for hubbies 1st masters at the old University. It's so confusing he he. I have a PGCE as well so if I can get my qualifications assessed and have my UK masters upgraded to a level 9, I will apply for PR. If it isnt given the 60 points, I will register for NZ teacher registration and try get a job and apply via the work permit route. Hope that makes sense. You are not alone in your frustrating application. We also got selected on the 30th May and are currently back in the pool with 130 points. Hope all goes well with you.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Most UK Masters degrees are 50 points. I also have a Bachelors and a Masters that are both exempt and could only claim 50 points.

As for not getting your dependent points, I don't understand why their points would be linked to YOUR degrees. The dependent points are for THEIR qualifications. Do they have a degree too?

There are universities in the world--the US and Canada, at least--that grant "masters" degrees to persons who have not completed undergraduate degrees. Which is crap: I wouldn't interview a person whose c.v. had only a masters degree but not bachelors. Doesn't pass the sniff test.

But look at it another way: you're really allocated pointed for total number of years of formal schooling as well as credentials--hence the incremental increase between BA and MA and PhD, for example.

The credential you earned: was it an MSc or MA designation or something else? Not all masters degrees are considered equal: some have a research requirement (thesis) and many don't. Is your school and degree/program listed as exempt?

Regardless, not great news for you on your end. ;9

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post
    Most UK Masters degrees are 50 points. I also have a Bachelors and a Masters that are both exempt and could only claim 50 points.

As for not getting your dependent points, I don't understand why their points would be linked to YOUR degrees. The dependent points are for THEIR qualifications. Do they have a degree too?
    in fact my wife (dependent) has the following degrees:
    1. BSc Biology with Environmental Science
    2. PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate in Education)
    3. MA in Education

The fact that I forgot to put the two preceding degrees (1 & 2), the CO thought that wife has only a masters that is not preceded by a first degree.... and i believe that this is equal to an MA(1st) according to CO. My wife MA is exempted from NZQA - see university of Brighton...but MA(1st) is not exempted from NZQA.. it was my fault of not putting the two preceding degrees...lost 20 points in very silly way...by the way any one or all of wife degree would have gained me 20 points... i mailed CO who assessed my EOI but she hasnt reply yet..

I have the following degrees:
    BEng Hons Electrical and Electronic Engineering
    MSc Building Services Engineering with Sustainable Energy

Wife (Partner) has the following degrees:
    BSc Biology with Environmental Science
    Postgraduate Certificate in Education
    MA in Education

All our Masters degrees were preceded by first degrees... the thing that I didnt put my wife preceding degrees in my EOI form made the CO think that she has only an MA which is not preceded by a bachelor...that is why CO didnt give 20 points for partner qualifications!!!

MAiled CO and still waiting for her reply...hope that i mailed the right person or should i mail immigration NZ directly????

Can anyone help?

From what universities for the MA/ MSc degrees?

Quote Originally Posted by jawnbc View Post
    From what universities for the MA/ MSc degrees?
    BEng Hons Electrical and Electronic Engineering - 2005 - university of mauritius - mauritius
    MSc Building Services Engineering with Sustainable Energy - 2010 - brunel uniersity - uk

Wife (Partner) has the following degrees:
    BSc Biology with Environmental Science -2004 - university of mauritius - mauritius
    Postgraduate Certificate in Education - mauritius institute of education - 2005 - mauritius
    MA in Education - university of brighton - 2008 - uk

Quote Originally Posted by jawnbc View Post
    There are universities in the world--the US and Canada, at least--that grant "masters" degrees to persons who have not completed undergraduate degrees. Which is crap: I wouldn't interview a person whose c.v. had only a masters degree but not bachelors. Doesn't pass the sniff test.
    Until recently, there was no such thing as a bachelor's degree in Germany, for example. The name of the first degree was Magister, no degrees before that. Not all educational systems are the same, and comparisons always difficult.

Daniela

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    Until recently, there was no such thing as a bachelor's degree in Germany, for example. The name of the first degree was Magister, no degrees before that. Not all educational systems are the same, and comparisons always difficult.

Daniela
    There are awards that are equivalent however, across the EU under the Bologna framework. There are also a range of professional post-secondary programs from Germany and in many parts of Europe that fit (more or less) under the vocational/technical aspects of EU education and training policy.

I teach a course on work and learning that includes these, in fact.

Canada doesn't have a national qualifications framework, because our federal system is highly decentralized. We still have problems with professional credentials being recognized across provincial borders within Canada!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast