Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help - Moving from Singapore to Auckland

Default Need Help - Moving from Singapore to Auckland

Hi All,
    I trust you guys are doing well.
    My wife and I are IT professionals and are moving to Auckland next month. We are seeing for some basic information listed below:

1. We will be working for an IT consulting company but at client locations which is not known to us as of now. Initially, we will be reporting at the company office at '34 Shortland Street, Auckland New Zealand 1010' but have to eventually work out of the then decided client location. Can anyone please suggest an area to find for a rental accommodation which is travel friendly to the above address? We do not mind travelling for up to 60 minutes. Safety is on top of our requirement list.

2. What are the top websites to search for rental accommodations? Does people share apartments or sublet in Auckland? This would be a good option since we need a temporary one initially.

3. Can you please give an idea of the average rent area wise?

4. How much funds should we have when we land Auckland taking rental deposit and one month expense into consideration?

5. What are the top banks where we can open an account. Is it possible to open an account while we are outside NZ? The intention is to transfer money before we move? Please share your views.

6. Also, kindly let us know any relative dos and donts. Thanks..

Shortland Street is in the CBD and very close to Britomart transport centre, so finding suitable transport to this area (should you decide not to live directly downtown!) should not be too much of a challenge. There are plenty of apartment buildings in the area that would allow you to walk there within 15 minutes. Also it seems the general consensus is that all of Auckland is relatively safe provided you use common sense.

Trade me is a popular website to search for accomodation: http://www.trademe.co.nz/property
    A decent one bedroom in the city centre will probably cost around 450 per week. Most move in costs include a week's rent upfront, the equivalent of 3-4 weeks rent for bond, and possibly a letting fee.

Popular banks include ANZ, BNZ, Westpac, ASB, but I have no experience trying to open an account from outside the country.

Can anyone please suggest an area to find for a rental accommodation which is travel friendly to the above address? We do not mind travelling for up to 60 minutes. Safety is on top of our requirement list.
    I think it would be best to decide on the location once you know about the client location and duration for which you would be deployed there. For a start up, you can rent short term accommodation within the CBD.

2. What are the top websites to search for rental accommodations? Does people share apartments or sublet in Auckland? This would be a good option since we need a temporary one initially.
    Trademe & Realestate.co.nz will help you do some analysis. If you are looking for security then sharing apartment might not be best option; though I know of my ex-colleague who lives with his partner in a shared flat and didn't have any issues for last 2 years or so.

3. Can you please give an idea of the average rent area wise?
    Rents in CBD were of the range $350-$450+, depending on the no. of bedrooms, for just 2 people I think a 1 bedroom unit will do in CBD, most of the apartments are fully furnished but do check the listing & make sure you see the property in-person before committing anything.

4. How much funds should we have when we land Auckland taking rental deposit and one month expense into consideration?
    Rental deposit would be 4-6 weeks, plus agent's fee which might be around 1 week's rent, expenses would be relative as if you prefer to eat outside (that will be huge cost), if you live in CBD then you might as well save on commute time & money, there is Countdown in CBD where you can get your groceries so any unit with kitchen will help to cut-`down on your expenses. You might already be aware that salary here can be paid in fortnightly & monthly basis, so opting for fortnightly pay will ease your expenses and get the ball rolling. ($4000 ish would be good amount to start up I suppose)

5. What are the top banks where we can open an account. Is it possible to open an account while we are outside NZ? The intention is to transfer money before we move? Please share your views.
    Westpac has their branch along Queenstreet and so does ANZ, National Bank, BNZ etc, our preference was Westpac.

6. Also, kindly let us know any relative dos and donts. Thanks..
    Anything specific that you are after? Quite a no. of things you might want to be aware of during renting house - area wise, condition, commute etc. People here are quite open, mostly mix up well and might crack jokes at every opportunity, so just take it easy and seep in the culture, don't be too conservative at workplace and get the pulse of the work culture.

Hope that helps.

I am married to a kiwi and I agree with Sun777 kiwi's like to crack jokes. If you leave the door open, someone will usually pounce and make a joke or make you the but of the joke. Kiwi's have a dry, witty sense of humor and I find it quite endearing, but you have to be on your toes and don't take it personally. Have fun with it!

Awesome! Thanks all!

Hi,
    We would be thankful if anyone would guide us through our first week in Auckland and join us for coffees or evening beers. We are in our mid 20s..

Cheers,
    Ronak

Hi there's a tv series call the Shortland Street!

Hubby and I came from Singapore too! Kiwis don't flag for bus hehe so don't make the same mistak as me cause back home, that's how we stop a bus

Quote Originally Posted by fayevalentine View Post
    Hubby and I came from Singapore too! Kiwis don't flag for bus hehe so don't make the same mistak as me cause back home, that's how we stop a bus
    I guess its slightly different in Auckland, we have to flag the bus (at least for bus operators - Northstar, Metro, Waka pacific)

Hi Ronak, hubby and I are moving to NZ from Singapore next month too! What a coincidence!

Hows the packing coming along anf Which company are you using for shipping stuff?

Check with below movers & packers and you might get a good deal..

Omni Global Pte Ltd
    34 Penjuru Lane #01-02
    Penjuru Logistics Hub
    Singapore 609201

Tel :6265 7955 Fax:6265 9574
    www.askstorage.com
    e-mail: omniglobal@singnet.com.sg or omnistoragesg@gmail.com
    Pattson Seow HP 9795 6300

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast