Thread: Would you go for a contract as soon as you arrive?

Default Would you go for a contract as soon as you arrive?

Hi everyone,
    I will be arriving in Auckland next saturday and I am currently looking for a job as a senior Java developer, I've been looking for a permanent position but I've been contacted regarding some contracts. I was checking permanent positions because I want to settle in one place since I will be there with my family, although the little one is not in school yet so that gives me some freedom of movement.
    Based on your experience, would you advise someone to work as a contractor in Auckland, is it easy to find jobs or would it be hard when a contract finish to get the next one?

Thanks

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Based on my experience, NZ is a country of contractors, in all sorts of roles. Much more than other countries I've lived. In the UK, contracting or "temping" is usually seen as a last resort or a stop-gap, but here it is quite normal and, for many, a preferred way of living. Contractors generally earn more due to the short-term nature of the contract and the need to save for the potential of periods of unemployment. In Wellington contracting is rife as many government departments have been forced to drive headcounts down, yet still need various projects to be completed.

If you are struggling to find work then contracting can also be a great way to get a foot in the door and make contacts for future opportunities.

Totally agree with what Manks has posted above, Hays & Optimation are couple of consulting agencies to contact (if you haven't already)

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post
    Based on my experience, NZ is a country of contractors, in all sorts of roles. Much more than other countries I've lived. In the UK, contracting or "temping" is usually seen as a last resort or a stop-gap, but here it is quite normal and, for many, a preferred way of living. Contractors generally earn more due to the short-term nature of the contract and the need to save for the potential of periods of unemployment. In Wellington contracting is rife as many government departments have been forced to drive headcounts down, yet still need various projects to be completed.

If you are struggling to find work then contracting can also be a great way to get a foot in the door and make contacts for future opportunities.
    Are there any drawbacks for contracting, such as when you go to rent an apartment, would the landlord think that you wont be able to pay the rent when you are out of work ?

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

It depends on the landlord. Neither of ours has even asked for references, but I know others have had to provide solid ones. You don't have to be completely open about the details of your work contract,but you're obviously bound by law in terms of your liabilities to a landlord with regard to rent payment.