Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Econo-Heat panel heaters

Default Econo-Heat panel heaters

Hello All,

Not been on for a while, but we've been busy buying a house (settle tomorrow), getting a new job (started May) and well, doing all the things that go with those two considerable tasks.

Anyway - we're looking at heating options for the house we've bought -it's a 1970's cedar clad thing with 3 beds up and two more down. It already has DVS - which we're going to get upgraded as it looks quite old, definitely looking at getting the insulation upgraded above and below and getting a heatpump fitted in the main room (I understand we should qualify for some rebate on those last 3?).

Has anyone here fitted those econo-heat panel heaters in there home, and what do you think of them? I've read mixed reports stating they need to be on all day and night just to heat a small bedroom, and that this affects the cost of them considerably. lso that as they're 400w units, they only emit about the same heat as a large plasma TV. These are solutions we're thinking about for the bedrooms upstairs, so we don't need them on all day and night, we want something to take the chill off in winter before the kids go to bed, and then gives a little burst during the night to keep the temp from dropping too dramatically. In the rental we're leaving, it's been down to 11 degrees in my 2 year olds room, and that's pretty chilly for a wee boy!

Any comments kind people?
    Cheers

I don't know about the heaters, but congratulations on these big steps in your life!

We just installed Nobo- panel heaters in our two bathrooms, they are Norwegian made, a bit more expensive than the usual panel heaters, but very effective and, as far as our research goes, very cost effective, too.

Our local shop here let you take one home to try out, and they have a chart showing the electricity use for the different sizes.

It definitely doesn't need to be on for long, before it starts warming the room.

It is important to remember that all electric heaters are pretty much exactly the same efficiency (100%) so panel heaters are no better or worse than any other. Heat pumps are another story, they are much more efficient than electric heaters. A panel heater attached to a cold external wall is probably a worse option (from a cost point of view) than a free standing heater in the middle of the room.

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    It is important to remember that all electric heaters are pretty much exactly the same efficiency (100%) so panel heaters are no better or worse than any other. Heat pumps are another story, they are much more efficient than electric heaters. A panel heater attached to a cold external wall is probably a worse option (from a cost point of view) than a free standing heater in the middle of the room.
    For 1970s built home, I would look at draft proofing the house (or where the rooms you intended to heat). Being in ALK, the winters are no where near as cold as in the lower S. Island so sealing drafts say around the windows may not be as critical. What you don't want is having such heaters installed to only find out that you're just heating the outside of the house.

Thanks all - we've just signed up with Powershop as well for the new house, so we should get a good handle on what effect any heating method has on the bills vs. the effects we feel inside.

We've put a eco panel heater in my youngest's room (the back room of the house so it doesn't quite get the same benefit from the fire/heat pump as the other rooms that are closer to them!) We switch it on about 30 minutes before she goes to bed and then switch it off when we go to bed (so it's on for about 5 hours) It does seem to work, it certainly takes the chill off the room and she sleeps for 14 hours a night without waking so I'm guessing she's happy with it too

We have a Nobo heater & find it good at heating the house, much prefer it to the 2 heatpumps we've got. If I were getting another nobo, I'd get one with a timer though.

We've just brought 2 of these. One for the hall way where the bedrooms are and the other for the lounge/diner. I'd say that the one in the hallway is just about worth it, as it takes off the chill, however the one in the lounge/diner doesn't really seem to be doing very much (it is quite a big area though) and as they work on the convection method I can see why, but we were desperate given that our gas fire was condemned, and I got a good deal through Placemakers so brought two

I'd say to for a small/medium bedroom they would be ideal. We leave ours on all the time.. Mind you this may change when we get our next bill!

Are yours Nobo or the Econo heat? I think there is quite a difference in the performance (and the prize).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast