Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimum Cost of Living...... Hair Shirt Style

Default Minimum Cost of Living...... Hair Shirt Style

Hey all I've been enjoying all i've been reading here. One thing I wanted to ask was about the cost of living.

http://www.enz.org/cost-of-living-in-new-zealand.html

Is there a cost lower than frugal, like Hair Shirt?

That would be the absolute rock bottom amount of money to keep body and soul together?

Could I then reduce food costs and the rest of the costs a bit more?

Hello and welcome.

-- From a point of view of 'living'

You can reduce food costs by eating seasonal fruit and veg - fruit can be 99 cents a kilo in season.

Don't eat cereal for breakfast - have fruit

Don't have the heating on get a fleecey blanket.

I'm sure those who actually live there will give you a whole list of money saving ideas.

--And some advice from a backpacking daughter

If you go out for lunch go to Cobb and Co and eat the free snacks whilst you are waiting to order and only drink the free bottle of water - a bowl of wedges will feed two people easily. Most places give you free water so you never have to buy a drink if you don't want to.

Staying in hostels there is always a free food shelf and some hostels do free breakfast or dinner. Hostels often have vouchers in the foyer.

If you are having a treat (good for the soul) then go to Bethlehem near Tauranga and a one scoop icecream would easily be enough for two for about $2.

Buy your fruit and vegs from veggie shop or dairy, meat from Mad Butcher unless there is a good special in Pack n Save, get the rest of the groceries in Pack n Save, and as Mikeandcaroline said buy seasonal. Try not to be tempted by imported British foods. If you like Marmite, the one which comes from England is called "Our Mate."

Save as much on electricity as possible (using those energy saving bulbs-its helps to keep the pockets green too!!)

You could try eating for $5 a day or less. You'd defo be able to get enough calories on that to keep you going. Less than $5 a day feeds you on white rice or white bread with cheap marg. Longer term you're stuffed eating like that but if you just want to keep body and soul together for a few months on not much money you could do it. No need to buy any clothes or shoes. Come in spring and dont use any heating. Do a flat share or live in a sleepout in someone's garden. Less than $100 a week all in.
    Last edited by little john; 24th October 2012 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeandcaroline View Post

If you are having a treat (good for the soul) then go to Bethlehem near Tauranga and a one scoop icecream would easily be enough for two for about $2.
    Hey Mike and Caroline,

Exactly where in Bethlehem can we get those $2 one scoop ice cream? Might just go get some tomorrow after school

Amy

Hello & welcome!

P

Quote Originally Posted by amy71 View Post
    Hey Mike and Caroline,

Exactly where in Bethlehem can we get those $2 one scoop ice cream? Might just go get some tomorrow after school

Amy
    Just looked on Google Earth and it is the Four Square on SH2 opposite the new shopping centre that has the Countdown supermarket in it. I think they do child size ones too.

Have one for us until we can get there next year.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeandcaroline View Post
    Just looked on Google Earth and it is the Four Square on SH2 opposite the new shopping centre that has the Countdown supermarket in it. I think they do child size ones too.

Have one for us until we can get there next year.

Ahhhhh at Four Square. That's right beside my butcher. Never knew they had ice cream. We will have some first and give us a shout when you get here. We live 5 min away. Are you guys planning to settle in Tauranga?

Amy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast