Thread: Bonus points for work experience on the long term skilled shortage category that is less than 2 years?

Default Bonus points for work experience on the long term skilled shortage category that is less than 2 years?

Hi everyone

I have yet ANOTHER query. Hubby and I lodged an EOI application and had our points downgraded as our Masters are not recognised as level 9 and we need to emigrate as lecturers. So, I (wife) am having my Edinburgh masters (Education - Language Teaching) assessed in the hope the NZQA will see it as a level 9 because it is a follow on from my undergrad (English, Linguistics, Education) and PGCE (English teaching). If that is affirmed, then we will re-submit an EOI application with myself (wife) as the principal applicant. From what I can see, I will get 25 points for my age (33); 60 points for my qualification (if on a level 9); 10 bonus points for qualification which is on the long-term skilled shortage list; 15 bonus points for work experience being in an area of absolute skill shortage (lecturer); 20 points for partners qualification and 10 bonus points for family member in NZ. That gives me 140 points without a job offer. My concern though is that I need a min of 12 months work experience to qualify as a lecturer. I have 12 months to be exact. Will that be ok? Also, you get points for work experience as a lecturer but they only start awarding points from 24 months onwards? How does that work? Do I just not get any points because I worked less than 24 months but still get to meet the minimum requirements as a lecturer for the 12 months. In other words, I loose out on points for work experience but still get to be awarded my points for qualification and profession being on the absolute skilled shrtage list?

I hope that is not too confusing. Any help would be great as I am scared to re-submit again only to have the second application thrown back into the pool.

God bless

Tracey

Anyone to reply?...Very important and interesting question..

No idea, but good luck. I do fear that the problem you will face is that universities seeking to hire lecturers are looking for candidates with PhDs. Jobs are advertised on the international market and the successful applicant gets a visa on the strength of a job offer.
    Best wishes to you, and hope it all works out well.

@girlwithanewf you mean that for lecturer jobs, there is no priority given to local candidates (in NZ with work permit)? but the candidates from all over the world compete for the job and whoever is more suitable gets job without considering is he/she is in NZ or anywhere else?

In many cases, yes, that is the case, especially higher up the academic ranks. New Zealand is just too small a place with too few universities. There is of course some movement within NZ and people starting off their academic career having been to NZ universities. This is however one field where they are prepared to interview and fly you in without the visa being in place already. It is perfectly fine to apply for a job and get the visa afterwards.