Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straight to the point

Default Straight to the point

I am new here and have enjoyed reading most of the discussion to get a fair idea about immigration to NZ; I am an African gentleman in the process of moving to Dunedin in a week. So far I have not seen any discussion about racial perception and profiling. I was CURIOUS how things could turn out for me in NZ in terms of settling in, making friends, and finding a Job. Are there a lot of blacks (especially Africans) in NZ, and how are they perceived, recognized and treated as compared to the USA and Europe for instance?

Hello and welcome.

I haven't been to Dunedin, but I have certainly seen (and met) black people living and working in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch. I hope you'll get some reactions from people with first-hand experience to help you. To be frank, there aren't many people on the forum who have mentioned that they are black. There are quite a few members from different parts of Asia, but what happens to them may or may not be the same as for you.

Hello and welcome!

There are not overly many black people here in town. The few that are, are probably Islanders in the majority; think of Tomasi Cama.
    I personally have not heard that being black has caused any issues in Dunedin; and I'm now living here for six years.

@ ralf-nz

Thank you. Looking forward to a great stay then. Otherwise for starters, can you kindly recommend any international pubs/clubs where one can socialize easily?
    Last edited by alvrey; 26th June 2012 at 10:35 AM.

@JandM

Thank you! I surely hope so too...Otherwise been doing some reading and SO FAR SO GOOD!
    Last edited by alvrey; 26th June 2012 at 10:34 AM.

I have to ask.

Had i known...
    What?!

Our kids had a black music teacher (from South Africa) in their highschool in Dunedin and there were some black pupils, too. It didn't seem to be a problem at all, the teacher is/ was definitely well loved!

Quote Originally Posted by alvrey View Post
    @ ralf-nz

Thank you. Looking forward to a great stay then. Otherwise for starters, can you kindly recommend any international pubs/clubs where one can socialize easily?
    I'm not too much into this scene; you might want too pm Frodo here in the forum (pm is possible, when you have made your fifth post).

There are lots of bars in the area of The Octagon, Moray Place, Princes Street and George Street. Several bars are Irish bars, funny actually considering D. has a big Scottish heritage. And there are of course also the Robert Burns Pub with live jazz every Thursday and The Church (Restaurant and Bar) with a couple of concerts per week.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I have to ask.

What?!
    Had i know is always at last....Had i known, i would have done it earlier. Had i know i could have done something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    I'm not too much into this scene; you might want too pm Frodo here in the forum (pm is possible, when you have made your fifth post).

There are lots of bars in the area of The Octagon, Moray Place, Princes Street and George Street. Several bars are Irish bars, funny actually considering D. has a big Scottish heritage. And there are of course also the Robert Burns Pub with live jazz every Thursday and The Church (Restaurant and Bar) with a couple of concerts per week.
    That should do. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast