Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you visit before you made the move?

Red face Did you visit before you made the move?

Hi everyone

Not sure if I have posted this in the correct section, appologies if not.
    We have been wanting to make the move for a long time and have been trying to plan a trip over for quite some time. Anyway 6 months ago we decided to go for it. We decided to finally plan a trip over next February to look at where we want to be. We have some family friends living in Otago who have offered there help and support, so we are thinking South Island. Looking at possibly Nelson or maybe Christchurch depending on work etc. We decided to use a migration company who seem to be speeding through our application. We are are now wondering do we just pack up and go for it or do we put things on hold and come over first.
    I know it is personal preference but I am just wondering how many have emigrated without seeing the country first?

Many thanks.

We packed our stuff and moved here once PR was approved and that was our first trip. There are lot of things to consider as well like settling mortgage/sell house, loans, moving personal belongings and other stuff (which makes the whole decision making subjective). We didn't have any burdens than our personal belongings from different countries - we were glad to take the risk. Not sure if that helps

We're also moving to NZ (next month!) without visiting first. It's more of taking chances than taking risks for us.
    The possibly closest place I've visited is Melbourne this time last year. While the place we're going in NZ isn't exactly like Melbourne, at least I know what's winter weather like. Important for someone from the equator

Try Google earth... that helps with the locality perspective.

I know many people who have moved to NZ without visiting first and they totally love it. I think it is a personal preference. It is expensive to move and adding a reccie trip on top can just add up the costs. Whatever you end up choosing best of luck to you.

We visited 3 times before making the move. At the time we had no intention of emigrating; we came for the hiking, felt immediately "at home" and simply fell in love with NZ. However, once we did decide to make the move, things proved to be quite different.

Potential problems which aren't an issue when visiting may become apparent during the process of settling: Work prospects and work culture, the ease in which you make new friends, how you cope with small-town NZ after living in a large city etc.

Unless your visit is focused on finding work and other practical matters (such as scoping neighbourhoods, schools) I don't really think that it will contribute much to your chances of settling.

Hi
    We just came over without ever being here,not only that we bought our land for our house without even seeing it and before we came over. We were very careful in doing this but I would not reccomend buying land in another country before you have even see it but we had people over here who we got to check it out and it worked out well.
    We had heard so many good things about NZ from friends who had visited plus our cleaner was a Kiwi who put us in touch with people in NZ and she said we would not regret it and we did not. We have been here over 5 years and love it. Having said that everyone is different and what is good for us might not be for others. I can only report on our experience

I would generally say visit before committing to move. That is what we did with distant relocations within in our home country several times. It was a little bit different with NZ though. I came here for job interviews when my family still stayed overseas. However one particular offer was so good we just decided I go for it. Family followed half a year later allowing our son to finish school. That's six years ago and not much too rue about!

We had never visited NZ before my hubby applied for and got a job. He's been there since February this year and is definitely loving it. Our 2 young sons and I will join him in August. We had considered a reccie trip in a few years but it's so expensive and such a long way for the kids that we decided just to go for it!

Visited NZ twice before moving over, the first time more than ten years ago as part of a round the world holiday. The second time more than five years ago.

Thanks everyone for replying. We are thinking of just going for it once hubby finds a job and we have sorted our house out. We have heard wonderful things from friends and family who have visited. So fingers crossed we will be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast