Thread: Overseas: Needing Job Advice

Default Overseas: Needing Job Advice

Hi Everyone. I'm Tom and I'm from the Washington DC area. I'm 24, I have my Bachelors Degree in Business, and I'm currently in a part-time MBA program online. I also have about 4 years of work experience in IT and Business Marketing. I would like to start working/living in NZ in January 2013(preferably Auckland or Christchurch). My age, degree, and work experience gives me 105 points in the Skilled Migrant Category, well short of the 140 for the invitation to apply. I have not done my EOI yet, because I assume it won't be selected with my point total. I assumed that if I could get a job offer, I'd kill two birds with one stone because it'd give me 50 extra points to push me over the 140 mark, and I'd be moving to NZ with a job already lined up.

Here's my dilemma: I've heard it's difficult to find a job in NZ while physically being overseas because employers won't take you seriously unless you're already in New Zealand. However it's much smarter when moving to a new location to have a job already lined up, versus moving somewhere and then risk not getting a job offer. I want to have a job in hand before I move.

Can anyone help me with some recommendations as to what I should do? I feel that my qualifications would definitely land a job, but how can I get employers to look at me seriously since I'm not in NZ yet? Are there any NZ sites/companies that specifically recruit Americans? I'm in Washington DC so maybe the embassy could offer me some advice as well? Also, if I want a job in January, when should I start applying?

Any help would be appreciated whether it be from Americans who have moved to New Zealand, or anyone that's had similar circumstances to me.
    Thanks,
    -Tom
    Last edited by TommyNZ; 28th June 2012 at 05:25 AM.

Hi Tom,

Suggest you have a look at the WHV, as you're young enough, then fly on over, find a job and work out a longer-term visa after that. I was lucky enough to land a job from overseas, but that was after visa approval -- pretty tough before then, even with lots of experience.

Good luck.

My two cents...

I also suggest the Work Holiday Visa to get your foot in the door. Usually companies would hire from overseas for people with skills that are niche and hard to find locally. In fact, immigration will question the company on whether they have attempted to hire locally first, how long have they advertised, how many people applied, why did they not qualified, and in some occasion even ask to see the resumes of those who applied.

Example of niche - if you're just in regular IT or Marketing, it may be a little harder. But if you're quite niche in say e-business, social media for business with proven records, you may stand a better chance to be hired from overseas.

All the best in your journey!

Hello and welcome.

Here's the link to the WHV scheme the others have been mentioning. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...idayscheme.htm I see that you already understand the problem about getting a job from overseas. Although some manage it, it's the exception, definitely, and seems to happen more for people with some specific niche skill or experience to offer.

I've never heard of any NZ firm which particularly hires Americans.

Maybe you're going to have to get out of your comfort zone if you seriously want to be employed in NZ. All foreigners are like someone knocking at the door, asking if they may come in, with the answer being, 'What's in it for me if I let you?' To stand out from the crowd, making the trip to be there in person (so, showing more diligence than those who are just an email query), or working for some time (maybe years) in advance to have a higher or more specific qualification (and raising points for EOI), are both possibilities. Both are tough. At least at your age you are eligible for WHV, so you would not be taking as much of a chance as those who go the recce trip route on a visitor's visa, reliant on savings unless they get an offer that will translate into a work visa.

My husband and I moved last yr from NOVA. We have kids so made sure we both had a job lined up. We came on a reccie trip and he met with a bunch of recruitment agencies in Welly and had some good contacts and some potential employment prospects but than got a job, online, when we got back to the US through the SEEK website. Google it and take a look.
    Good luck.

Thanks so much for the help everyone

The Work Holiday Visa will be the route I'm going to take.

Let us know how you get on.