Thread: Can multiple 'run-ins' with the police and law effect PR?

Default Can multiple 'run-ins' with the police and law effect PR?

Hi all

Just a quick query. I promise this query is not directly related to me . I am a law abiding citizen.

I know of someone with PR in NZ but said person, who is coming up for citizenship in less than 2 years, has had numerous run-ins with the police. I know PR (indefinite leave to remain in NZ) is NOT a right and said person needs to abide by the NZ laws. SOOOO, can said persons PR be terminated and said person sent home for unlawful acitivity. I also checked about the requirements for citizenship and I'm almost positive said person will not meet the 'good character' criteria. Sadly, said person has gone off the rails slightly . Could some please advise. For example, a friend in the USA, while waiting for green card, was advised that even a traffic fine could see him deported and green card 'rights' reminated.

Could someone please advise.

Thank you
    (concerned relative)

The only official mentions of this I've found are that PR can be revoked at the discretion of the Minister for Immigration, 'however this does not normally happen except in cases of criminal misconduct' - then they don't specify what exactly that would be. I guess this leaves the Minister wide discretion to consider each case individually. It is very rare, anyway.

I understand that you're concerned. But the example from the US is not the same situation. 1) One country's laws can be very different from another's. 2) 'Waiting for a Green Card' is equivalent to the stage of having applied for Residence in NZ, not to already having PR. Even then, the character requirements for Residence would NOT be toppled by a traffic violation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablodante View Post
    Hi all

Just a quick query. I promise this query is not directly related to me . I am a law abiding citizen.

I know of someone with PR in NZ but said person, who is coming up for citizenship in less than 2 years, has had numerous run-ins with the police. I know PR (indefinite leave to remain in NZ) is NOT a right and said person needs to abide by the NZ laws. SOOOO, can said persons PR be terminated and said person sent home for unlawful acitivity. I also checked about the requirements for citizenship and I'm almost positive said person will not meet the 'good character' criteria. Sadly, said person has gone off the rails slightly . Could some please advise. For example, a friend in the USA, while waiting for green card, was advised that even a traffic fine could see him deported and green card 'rights' reminated.

Could someone please advise.

Thank you
    (concerned relative)
    Can said persons PR be terminated? Yes.
    Can said person be sent home? Guess you would have to define home, but yes if PR was revoked then the said person would no longer be legally entitled to remain in NZ and would be deported - generally at the end of any prison term (if applicable)

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Pablodante View Post
    For example, a friend in the USA, while waiting for green card, was advised that even a traffic fine could see him deported and green card 'rights' reminated.
    Just more info on that one, its necessary to declare speeding tickets on NZ Citizenship.

Have you ever had any infringements / fines in New Zealand or any other country?
    Even if you have paid the fines, please include all your traffic fines (including speed camera fines), fishery
    breaches, immigration infringements. DON’T include parking fines.

http://www.dia.govt.nz/Pubforms.nsf/...ipgenadult.pdf
    Page 6, Question 25