Thread: Husband's highest education is only high school

Question Husband's highest education is only high school

Hello friends,

I have been thinking hard about this matter and I have decided to put this up(after being advised by a friend to put this thought up) hoping to get some answers.You are all most welcome to comment.

I will be the principal applicant when I put in my EOI, but my husband will be wanting to work, too, and things will be better for us if he can.

My husband's highest qualification is high school. Right now, he has a good job working with an American franchise fast food chain company, and he is in the managerial side, managing 7 restaurants here around KUALA LUMPUR,MALAYSIA. Now, we agree that at some point he has to have at least a certificate to give him better job prospects. But,we don't know what. I worry if it won't be enough with me having to work alone.

Of course we would do whatever it takes to make our lives slightly easier when we get there. We just need to figure out what. If we can't seem to find a job for him, sadly, I might have to end up going with the children first.

Maybe once in NZ, his experience and work record would be more important in getting him a job than any certificate. I mean, maybe he would have to go in at a rather lower level than he is at now, but he would be there in the country, with no visa problems and all that knowhow, and someone would give him a start.

Any of you in NZ who work in the catering industry, can you tell me what you think would be useful for him when looking for work? Or how it would be for him if he hasn't got any certificates yet? Or what qualifications would be best to do first?

Thanks.

Azilah.

Hi there,
    Sorry I'm no expert in catering field but from some of the recent posts it seems Restaurant Manager (and likes of it) would be close to your husband's experience, not sure how that industry works but short term/vocational course in his field might help regarding job.

If your the principal applicant then he will just get the same permit as you wont he? My husband was the principal applicant on our skilled migrant application & I had no "points" to add to that but they just gave me the right to work too when they granted him his, would this not be the same?

The OP isn't worried about his visa, I think. She's wondering what if anything he could do now (extra training, etc.) to boost his chances of getting taken on once in NZ.